Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well what does everyone think? Obviously if someone actually have aerospace brakes it would be better but any input is appreciated.

This is the deal: I have a guy that wants my cobra brakes for a substantial amount of money so I figured well this is the perfect time to go ahead and get the aerospace brakes, because the car will eventually see mostly drag duty.

But until I get a beater to drive around, this is my only ride.

If they aren't going to be streetable then what is causing them to not be streetable? Is it the brake pads supplied w/ the kit from aerospace? Would there be any durability issues as far how long they would last?

Anything you guys can think of including ideas for other brakes and especially the cheapest place to find a set would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
113 Posts
They stopped my car from 170+ pretty good although I did use the chute!They aren't ABS compatable so that's something to think about.They are very light"drag racing,but if weight is not an issue get some Brembo's they are the $hit,but it's tuff tho find Skinneys"front rims" to clear bigger brakes than your cobra's.If your car is a daily driver keep your brakes or step up to Brembo's if it's gonna be a trailer queen/race car get the Aerospace!
Kaz...............:cool:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Aerospace makes a set that are designed for street use. Those are the ones I plan on getting. They are still a good bit lighter. The drag brakes have a rotor that is thinner and not really made for street duty. Hope that helps. Where in GA are you from? Are you doing the assembly of your motor?

Nathan Green

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Super Kaz,

Thanks so much for the help. Like an idiot I didnt even think about the ABS. Hmm, dont know if I can do w/out that. Even though hopefully it will very soon only be driven on nice weekends and to the track.

Nathan,

Damn good info there. I haven't even looked at Aerospaces' website yet. I have been really busy today and this is something that just became an option today since the guy was looking to do the 5 lug conversion w/ cobra brakes.

I am at school in Savannah during most of the year. But I know you know some of my friends from Barrett. Barry w/ the blue twin turbo, maybe Jon w/ the red 93, probably Dewberry w/ the dark green supercharged 96or7 gt. I can't wait to get back up there w/ my new combo and have a little fun. Heck, you might even know my car. It is the 96 mystic w/ double r hood, i guess the only thing else you could recognize it by is the blower cams.

By the way the motor is already built (did it this time last year). We just pulled it the other day for the 3rd time in a year to make some improvements My tuner built it for me and if you are looking at building one I will be glad to help you out.

Looking forward to meeting you. If my car is back together in a few weeks for spring break I will probably come home to make a little money at work up there. I will pm you if I am headed that way.

I will definitely be checking out the street oriented aerospaces'. Who do think you will get your's through?

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Ashley...Thats pretty cool. I was just talking to Barry a little earlier tonight. I have probably seen your car around. I am getting ready to start an engine buildup, also. I was just wondering who assembled it. I plan on having all the parts, just having someone assemble the shortblock. What blower are you goin with?

BTW...I am gonna get my brakes from Holcomb Motorsports. They seem pretty fair.

Nathan Green

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nathan,

Sounds good. We actually built the motor in my tuner's garage. He could build it for you and port your heads for a very reasonable price. Or I could hook you up with Larocca's engine builder. He is also very reasonable plus can do all machining and balancing. I wish I would have known that before we built mine. I hauled all my crap to Charleston, SC to get balanced and machined and then went back and picked it up a week later.

I'll check out Holcomb's prices and see what else I can find. If you want to give me a call w/ any questions just pm me and I will get you my phone number.

The blower is a D1SC for now. When I get a daily driver I'm either going to switch to an F1 or F2 or a big turbo :D

Later,
Ashley

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nathan,

You wouldn't happen to have a part # for the front and rear brake setup that you were talking about (the ones intended for street use). I emailed Aerospace w/ no response yet. I couldn't find anything that would seem to be what you are talking about on there website, nor Holcomb's website.

Thanks for the help,
Ashley

Anybody else got any ideas. What about Wildwood's?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hey Ashley...I dont have a part number, but if you just call Holcomb they will talk to you about them, thats what I did. I am not sure about the backs, but this is the front.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey ashley ! I have aerospace pro street stuff on my car. Ventilated rotors and four piston billet calipers. They are fine on the street, I really can't tell much diff. from stock cobra brakes. Yoi will still have to use a 5/16 spacer to clear 15'' weld prostars..Al

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Al, did you check the weight difference before and after the brake install? just wandering

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Al,

Thats great info. What break pad are you using. The ones that came w/ the kit? So you don't see any reason not to go w/ this setup for the street and strip. No ABS, right? Do they hold up in stop and go traffic. It has been mentioned above that the rotors are a bit to thin for street duty.

Thanks so much for the help!

Later,
Ashley

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't remember the exact number but, i think it was about 25 pound diff. On a cobra the stock hubs and abs rings are reused. So the abs can be retained. The rotors are about as thick as a cobra rear and causes no problems. I have the hawk pads that came in the calipers. They are soft and make alot of dust but are silent and work good cold. Al

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Al,

Once again, great info. So that is the pro street on the front and rear correct? Or is the front and rear called something different? I just want to make sure I get the right set.

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ashley, I've got manual brakes and no ABS obviously. I'll be recieving the Aerospace Drag kit shortly, I'll let you know how street friendly they are. It'll be about a month before it moves under it's own power though. I think I'll break the new motor/trans in without the blower so that I can drive it aroud KC a bit.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adam,

Sounds good man. That would be a great help. I might already have them on. I think I am just going to go w/ what Al said (the pro street setup) or call Holcomb Motorsports and see what exactly Nathan (Red99SVT) is talking about.

Yeah, I think I would definitely break in the motor w/out the blower.

Thanks,
Ashley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts