Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to do a complete exhaust from the manifolds back and was wondering what kind of gains can I see with LT's as compared to with shorty headers. I know installing the Lt's are a pain in the ass but I will deal with that when it comes to installing them. Are LT's worth it? I know they make a difference in forced induction applications but what about NA? Also does exhaust leak hurt performace or gas mileage in anyway? thanks for all of your help.:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Obviously you wont see the gains you would on a blown application, but you will notice some in the upper end. Might as well do it if you plan on getting blown sometime later.

Dave

·
Registered
385 Posts
LTs are no harder to install then shorties. Get them, you'll love the power and SOUND!

Darren

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
It really boils down to what you want out of the car. Long tube headers are a plus in both applications! They are a pain to install, but are worth it in the long run. If you have a small exhaust leak it will not hurt gas mileage or performance. It will make it sound like junk though :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I have decided to go with a Flowmaster American Thunder catback and a BBK short H-pipes w/cats but am still deciding on either BBK LTs, Hooker or MAC. Leaning towards the BBK. You guys know which one is better or which one I should go with. Any other brands are welcomed suggestions. THANKS! :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
DO NOT get MACs. Too many guys mess their engines up w/ them. Not all, but alot. Not worth the $200 you save for headers...

Darren

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fist off, LTs are the way to go. Shorties aren't worth the money. The flow isn't that much, if any, better than stock and they tend to crack. I say this from experiance. I have FMS shorties. They cracked and where the primaries intersect the "collector", they actually protrude well in to the "collector". Its like having a flange in there. If you can find a set stick your finger in to the primary and you will see what I mean.

BBKs install well. That is they actually bolt up to the head and you can get the bolts in to the flanges. The only "bad" thing is the big "crimp" where one of the primaries tucks in behind the steering shaft. But then again it fits well with out interference.

I have seen Hooker's that don't clear the steering shaft real well and it can be hard to get the bolts in. Its probably a good idea to get a Flaming River steering shaft regardles of the brand of header you get.

Kooks rock.

Those are the only ones I have any experiance with. You may want to consider the new Bassanni mid lengths. Supposedly they install real easy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you are wanting the big gains with your exhaust, definately go with an O/R pipe instead of catted, and ditch the flowmasters, they don't flow as well as a Magnaflow, or Spintech, etc. If I am wrong on this, someone correct me. I know flowmasters sound great, I have them on my 96, but I will be doing Magnaflow on my 99. Right now it has Dynomax Race bullets and they sound wicked!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Tony 96 Cobra said:
If you are wanting the big gains with your exhaust, definately go with an O/R pipe instead of catted, and ditch the flowmasters, they don't flow as well as a Magnaflow, or Spintech, etc. If I am wrong on this, someone correct me. I know flowmasters sound great, I have them on my 96, but I will be doing Magnaflow on my 99. Right now it has Dynomax Race bullets and they sound wicked!
Your right Flows don't flow, they are junk.:vomit:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Spintech gets my vote! I run Sportsman Streets on my car and they sound and perform awesome.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you know what you're doing, Macs will not destroy your engine. BTW, I gained [email protected]

·
Registered
885 Posts
Red97SVT said:
Fist off, LTs are the way to go. Shorties aren't worth the money. The flow isn't that much, if any, better than stock and they tend to crack. I say this from experiance. I have FMS shorties. They cracked and where the primaries intersect the "collector", they actually protrude well in to the "collector". Its like having a flange in there. If you can find a set stick your finger in to the primary and you will see what I mean.
Maybe you should just say that FMS shorty headers aren't worth the $$$.
I have JBA 1 5/8" ceramic-coated shorties, and there aint a damn thing wrong with them... ;) They have support rods at the area where you said the FMS ones cracked - I assume it's for extra strength.

Also, I've heard just as many complaints & problems with LT's as I have with shorties.

Just an FYI :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have read that shorties aren't much better than the stock exhaust. Don't relly have any first hand experiance. In other words, dyno comparisons. I have also been told by the owner of a shop that installs these things on a daily basis that "JBA's start to fall apart as soon as they are installed", no offenese, just what I have been told by someone I trust. My cracked set were the first that he had heard of.

I was just trying to provide first hand experiance. By the way, my FMS shorties do have over 100K mi on them. It is my beleif that if you are going to spend the money for headers, you might as well get L/Ts. Shorties aren't that much cheaper, do not provide as much performance gain and are not that much easier to install. Besides, they sound cool as hell!

·
Registered
209 Posts
5.0 magazine tested a set of 1 5/8 JBA's over a year and a half ago on an 01 Cobra. MAybe you can find the article. It picked up around 15 peak rwhp if I remember correctly. They then matched it with a Dr. Gas x-pipe and it jumped to 30 rwhp. I was a little skeptical on that but I've seen peolpe get good numbers with the Dr. gas pipe. It had net gains of over 30 rwhp at low rpm. I put the same headers on my 03 and picked up around 16 rwhp but I picked up close to 40 rwhp from 2500-3000 rpm.

I had an 01 Cobra. It had BBK LT's and o/r h-pipe, BBK CAI, Bassani catback, Steeda U/D's, and a JMS chip and it pulled 305 rwhp STD. I don't remeber the torque. I was a little dissapointed in the numbers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is why we all post/vist here. Most of us have different experiances with different products. By posting we can share our experiances with others. By no means am I saying that my word is gospel! Pesonally I have shorties, but the vast majority of cars being built in my area with seriois power are using L/Ts and I would reccomend that if you are upgrading, go to L/Ts.
There are drawbacks such as smog concerns, cost and ground clearance however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts