Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long till no more 2v heads? Or should I ask how long until the 3v heads are on the 4.6. I know the 3v's are coming on a 5.4 but how long until they're available for the 4.6? Will we be able to swap them on our existing blocks? Anyone have any idea's

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just out of curiousity, if your gonna spend the $ to do a headswap for more vlaves per cylindder, then why not just go to the 4V? I guess it will also depend on wether or not they are vairable, and how much power they make compared to the 4V, but I think the headswapers are going to go with the 4V vise the 3V. They may put them in production stangs, but I cant see it being worth it to go from a 2V to 3V. Just my opinion.:blob

·
Registered
28 Posts
3v heads are supposed to offer nearly the same benefit as 4v heads without the complexity, or so they say. if the heads bolt in place and use existing hardware that would be REAL cool. However Ford being Ford, I have a feeling a new intake manifold and exhaust manifolds are probably the most minor area of change.

Still though a heavy breathing SOHC is nice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the variable valve timing should be awesome, all it is, is a ford virsion of VTEC and we all know if a honda didn't have it then they would be even slower.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My work car is a Ford ZX-2. It has a 2.0 Zetec engine with VCT. Its variable vavle/cam timing. And it is a major pain in the ass. A guy who has been working on cars for years and has his own shop did my timing belt for me. (Yes he had all the proper equipment also) He told me to never bring my car back again...lol. Seriously it took him almost 2 full days to do it. The ZX-2 doesn't have any timing marks....I hope the Mustang will be easier to use the VCT on.

·
Registered
131 Posts
my friend has a zx3 focus and we did his in about 4 hours ( both )the mustang is only gonna have 1 cam so it shouldn't be that much different from the cars out now as far as working on them goes

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Focus is a bit different than the ZX-2. Mine is a 98 which is the 1st year..which also means the guinea pig year. They have made some improvements on the 2.0 since then. Did you guys have to take off the exhaust? If not then they have made HUGE strides since 98...lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eric Brooks said:
From what I have seen the past few months (Drag Radial SOHC car running 8s) the 2V heads have LOTS of potential. I'm still curious as to how the variable valve timing the 3V heads have, will work out (performance wise)
I'm still holding out hope that the 2V heads really catch on and prices come down. 2k+ for p&p (and that dont include any extra goodies like better valve guides, or valve seats) is way expensive. The 2V has been in the stang for over 7 years, and the only NA engine performance parts are from Ford. I dont really want to be making car payments for the rest of my life just to get the next factory performance upgrade. Increasing the complexity, (can you say variable valve timing), and reducing the opportunity for the aftermarket to develop low cost performance parts, (so we have to buy the overpriced stuff available from Ford), looks more to me like market manipulation than capitalism at work. The old school hot rodder that i am, hates this kind of market manipulation, but on the other hand, the 3V varible valve timing heads, will bring our Gt's into the present state of the art in overhead cam technology. Varible valve timing has the potential to provide a significant performance increase in our ohc engines. This technology has been implemented in various import engine configurations and has shown significant performance enhancement in small displacement engines. So I guess we shall just wait and see what happens, but I think a 4V head swap might be a better alternative when looking at the overall picture. Sorry for the long reply but Ford is starting to piss me off. (just venting again)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with you...100%

myhorsedollar said:
I'm still holding out hope that the 2V heads really catch on and prices come down. 2k+ for p&p (and that dont include any extra goodies like better valve guides, or valve seats) is way expensive. The 2V has been in the stang for over 7 years, and the only NA engine performance parts are from Ford. I dont really want to be making car payments for the rest of my life just to get the next factory performance upgrade. Increasing the complexity, (can you say variable valve timing), and reducing the opportunity for the aftermarket to develop low cost performance parts, (so we have to buy the overpriced stuff available from Ford), looks more to me like market manipulation than capitalism at work. The old school hot rodder that i am, hates this kind of market manipulation, but on the other hand, the 3V varible valve timing heads, will bring our Gt's into the present state of the art in overhead cam technology. Varible valve timing has the potential to provide a significant performance increase in our ohc engines. This technology has been implemented in various import engine configurations and has shown significant performance enhancement in small displacement engines. So I guess we shall just wait and see what happens, but I think a 4V head swap might be a better alternative when looking at the overall picture. Sorry for the long reply but Ford is starting to piss me off. (just venting again)
There is a ton of power to be had in 2V heads if you want to part with the money. If they go with 3V thats gonna put the 2V on the back burner IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, if your talking variable cam timing with an sohc head, that shouldn't be too complex, since you can only vary cam timing in relation to crankshaft position. I guess you could simulate extended duration by allowing the cam to lag a bit, but that seems to imprecise using a viable cam sproket alone, The only other strategy I could see would be an extra lobe on the cam that had different duration and lift ground into it (ala' vtec), or the ol' trap door method (old cobra motor, LT-5, ect). on the second intake valve until its needed.

IMO, to much complexity. The simple soluition would be a 3 valve head with fixed camshaft phasing and duration using the better airflow potential of the head with a very mild camshaft, but thats me.

I see the stang as being in the same enviable position as a Harley, it can rely on stone stupid technology and still pull it off and thats not to say it can't live forever with 2 valves and a live axle (okay maybe a live axle can keep on going), but as long as ample power is produced with what is considered relative knuckle dragging technology to whatever is currently hot, the stang will sell.

When they start producing mustang gt's with a unobtanium chasis, titanium wheels, carbon matrix frick frack bodies, drive by wire this that and the other with all wheel drive so it can rally in sweden during the next ice age is when its all over for the stang.

·
Registered
1 Posts
newbie here but where in the hell did you all learn all this? i wanna learn a lot about mustangs cus im getting ready to drive and am going to save up for a mustang here soon. sorry about the off-topic question but you all are just blowing my minds and i would love to learn about all this and more with the modular motors, especially if i wanna get one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts