Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys you will have to bare with me. I just picked up my 03 and im looking for some mods. Im used to my procharged 2v car so this is a little different for me. I used to go to Kauffmann motorsport in PA to have the GT tuned. i loved that place. It is just a far drive for me to do. 5 hours. I was thinking of changing pullies. I was looking at tha amazon ones. Would it be a wise decision to get the pulley and idler and do a mail order Diablo chip? Only other mods i am going to do for now besides that would be a CAI and catback. I will eventually go back to Kauffman to have my autologic retuned. But i can use the diablo to hold me over. Also what is the best place to get the pullies and chip from? Any suggestions welcome for this 03 Newbie. Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You'll be plenty safe with a mail-order Diablo. I went with Amazon, and it turned out great. A/F ratio is just where I wanted it.

Look at the RR non-slip pulleys. I have a 2.90 with no idlers and experience no slip. Go any smaller and you will need Idlers though.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much boost does the 2.9 make? also do i really need the special puller or is there a way around it. What am i looking at price wise for a diablo chip tuned and where? Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
257 Posts
According to mapquest from Kaufmans to North Haven is 289 miles, From North Haven to Amazon is only 265 miles. Rick & Linn have a new shop and Im sure they will hook you up on the chip and change your pulley. I know they are at the all the NMRA races and they swap pullies for the customers. Maybe they will have the dyno up and running in a few weeks, so you could make a few passes to verify everything is in check before the fun drive back to CT.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Juiced46 said:
How much boost does the 2.9 make? also do i really need the special puller or is there a way around it. What am i looking at price wise for a diablo chip tuned and where? Thanks

Dave
I started off with a Diablo tuned by JLP along with a 2.93 upper and a JLP Ram Air. Had the ship around so my total cost was under $300. Ended up with 423RWHP and 428RWTQ with a way rich 10.0 A/F all the way across. Side 2 got me 436RWHP and 452RWTQ with a better A/F. I was very happy with that for the little money out of pocket and a few minutes in work. I have a puller if you need to borrow it. If you decide to go with JLP I might be able to save you a few bucks.

You may also want to look into JDM, only a little over 2hrs away and they do great work. They have an in house dyno and plenty of streets to test drive on. They got me the numbers in my sig.

Who ever you go with, I think they all do great work and will not get into any this tuner is better then this one. For a simple Chip and pulley combo, anyone could do that for ya. -Mat- :blob

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
F150 impressive numbers to say the least! Are those STD or SAE? Whats the combo? Seems JDM is making some serious power with cars these days, I remember making fun of a superchip back in my fox body days, now they are making some of the best power to be had with a superchip, how aggressive is that tune?

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
hj16 said:
You'll be plenty safe with a mail-order Diablo. I went with Amazon, and it turned out great. A/F ratio is just where I wanted it.

Look at the RR non-slip pulleys. I have a 2.90 with no idlers and experience no slip. Go any smaller and you will need Idlers though.
I would never assume any mail order chip is safe weather done by a dial-up tuner or an actual in car tuner. Always get your car on a dyno with a wide band or get a wideband in the car. Its simply not worth the risk!

Mail ordering a chip can be touchy but if you have a standard list of mods and are dealing with someone who has "been there, done that" then you should be very satisfied with a mail order chip.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shadowgray. i always used to have my car tuned on the dyno when i had my GT. If i did go with a mailorder i would definetely put it on the dyno right after i recieved it. Lke you said definetely not worth the risk. I've been seeing alot of good things about JDM to. But they use superchip right? Isnt superchip really not dyno tuning though. Arent the people just on the phone with superchip and they email the new tune after each pull? Thats what a local tuner here does with superchip. I have an autologic chip if need be. But like i said if i can get a mailorder that is not to expensive and i dont have to drive 3 hours for a dyno tune until i get really crazy with the car. That would be ideal for me. Thanks

Dave

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Juiced46 said:
I've been seeing alot of good things about JDM to. But they use superchip right? Isnt superchip really not dyno tuning though. Arent the people just on the phone with superchip and they email the new tune after each pull? Thats what a local tuner here does with superchip. I have an autologic chip if need be. But like i said if i can get a mailorder that is not to expensive and i dont have to drive 3 hours for a dyno tune until i get really crazy with the car. That would be ideal for me. Thanks

Dave
My understanding is that is how superchip works, its also how diablo works but if your getting it mail order it doesnt really matter.

There is a lot of info in the KB tuning thread just a few posts down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts