Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a set of new take off C heads DA casting. I was getting them prepared to install on the block while awaiting for my ARP 2000 head studs and timesert spark plug insert kit to arrive.I noticed on the passenger side head the surface area where the head bolt washer originally sat was pretty chewed up and concerns me. The drivers side head looked good in this area. I am attaching a few pictures to view. Thoughts please ? Thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ed,

Thank you very much for the detailed response!
I appreciate it.

I am not pleased as I bought these assuming they were good to go. (Which that usally never happens)After the price I paid for the heads plus the ARP 2000's plus the price of the timesert kit and the custom Todd Warren cams and it looks like now I will need to send them out for repair to have the inserts installed. I'll be into these pretty deep!

I will get in contact with Jordan over @ Modular Head Shop and see if this repair is something they can perform.

As for the timesert kit I opted for the 51457A insert which is aluminum and is also fully threaded.

Your thoughts ?

Thanks !
Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ed for that info on Lock-N-Stitch!

Sent a email over to Modular Head Shop and it looks like doing the machine work for the inserts wasn't something they were willing to take on at this time unfortunately.

Ed ,

Would you happen to have any recommendations as far as a shop that could handle this task?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a machine about a hours drive or so that is confident they can perform the repair . The seller that I bought the heads from offered to cover the charges for parts and machine work, So I should be good on all accounts.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks again Ed for all the help, I will pass that info along to them when the time comes . I will update with pictures once the repair is complete. It will probably be a little while before i am able to bring them for repair since work has been crazy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ed,

I will plan to toqure the 2000's to 85 ft lbs and retorque after the first heat cycle. Quick question please is it absolutely necessary I use
ARP-301-8402 12 point nuts with the ARP washer inserts or can I use the 12 points that I purchased with 2000 kit ARP-256-4201?

Thanks !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ed,

I also decided to take your advise on using the
Lock-N-Stitch method over the Timeserts
I will rent the kit from them and i will be at the same price I was going to pay for X9 of the timesert aluminium inserts 51457A

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ed,

A few more items worth mentioning that I ordered is the Boundry assembled 3v oil pump . I also ordered one of James's passenger side secondary tensioners with a set of accufab secondary chains and also went with a set of wonder racing primary tensioner spacers I plan to also grind the last 4 teeth off the bottom of the pawl as per there recommendation when adding the spacers . I also ordered a set of Comp Cams adjustable primary gears to go along with the Cloyes adjustable secondary gears I purchased years ago when they were still available . I just need to purchase a cam degree kit and I should be good to go in that aspect !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts