Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
What got you into enjoying a splash of paint on a canvas? It's nice to see that someone else appreciates art. For me it is a nice distraction to appreciate something other than cars. Some art I can't wrap my mind around like abstract but other pieces can be truly amazing, especially realism and hyper realism. I can paint hyper but it takes so much more time and I don't have the patience for it now. I've incorporated hyper-realism features into several pieces but I don't see the need to do it for an entire piece. Check out Marco Grassi.

I've actually seen the Girl with a Pearl Earring a few years ago while in the Netherlands. Also saw Van Gogh's pieces but I can't say I liked any of them. I can appreciate them b/c the style was extremely different than what anyone else was doing but I still don't like how they look.

ks
It's hard to say, but perhaps from reading which is an odd answer. I read The Goldfinch by Donna Tart and if you haven't read it, suffice to say it revolves around Fabritius' painting, The Goldfinch. The book itself has more important themes and motifs that have to do with this child and his life as it relates to this painting and the impact it has indirectly put on him. Anyways, after reading the book, I was of course curious about this painting the main character cared so much about and I wanted to know what it looked like and the history behind the painting.

I believe I was watching a documentary on famous Rembrandt paintings and honestly I wasn't really watching it per se. but more of just had it on in the background as I like to have something on my TV as I do work or browse on my laptop and during the documentary they were talking about other famous artists during the Dutch golden age and were just quickly showing paintings from various artists and then the Girl with a Pearl Earring popped up and caught my eye. I had to rewind and I didn't know why, but this painting for some reason had me in a trance like state. I just thought it was such a beautiful painting. I'm a car guy and I always thought all those crazy expensive paintings were for pretentious dicks. I slowly started to gain an appreciation for art. I'm not an expert and I don't understand half of what i'm looking at, but I enjoy just looking at a classic painting and being able to appreciate certain artists and just stare in awe of how amazing it can look for something made such a long time ago. I can't go into an art gallery and use a lexicon of SAT words to describe a painting, but I can go, "mmm, yes I like this one. It has cool curves." Lol

That is awesome you've gotten to see Girl with a Pearl Earring in person. I'd love to take a trip to the Mauritshuis one day to check out everything they have to offer.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here's my second submission piece into the ARC Salon contest. I just finished it last night and I made the image a bit more "work friendly", but just a bit. I have time to do a third painting so now I am trying to come up with a concept for it:

ks

·
Administrator
1965 SPF 427 Cobra, & 2022 BMW M850
9,484 Posts
Kevin,

You should pay your models a decent wage. I've noticed a recurring theme where increasingly they apparently can't afford and aren't wearing much clothing ... :)

Ed

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Kevin,

You should pay your models a decent wage. I've noticed a recurring theme where increasingly they apparently can't afford and aren't wearing much clothing ... :)

Ed
Ya know, it cost me more to have them wear less, too... I keep protesting this but they don't see it my way..:cool:

ks

·
Registered
559 Posts
Wow
you are crazy talented, good for you!

Reactions: KEVINS

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Here's 2 more quick ones that I did for two different shows. These don't compare in details to my last one above but these were done for a different reason and had to be done quickly.
The international contest entry has been moved back to March 2022 so now I have PLENTY of time to do a third piece to enter so now I just need to come up with a concept.

The photo I took of the first one below is awful so it looks a lot better in person.
The second image below I did in 3 days! I had a private art showing that I wanted to bring a new piece but only had 3 days to start/finish it...success!
Each one is 24"x30"..

ks
Nose Lip Chin Eyebrow Eyelash

Forehead Nose Lip Shoulder Eyelash

21 - 26 of 26 Posts