· The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drive with Hill Management locking out 6th gear,,
It seems to shift better..
Anybody else try this?

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Driveabilty was a big concern for me once I started to mod this car. I new getting the auto trans perfect wasn't going to be easy... Justin @ VMP tuning has put some time into my tune to get the down shifts and up shift almost perfect. Before he was tuning my car I drove around in Hill management also. I have been in other auto cars that were tuned by other shops and the trans shift weren't to my liking. They seemed to be in the wrong gear at diff speeds.

· Registered
539 Posts
Interesting..might try that, Jon got my shifting pretty good, However I still get a Nasty Clunk sometimes when driving slow and coming to a stop..thanks for the tip!
My Only other complaint about Jon's tuning is the 800rpm idle...He says its neccessary with the Blower cars...idk

· Registered
764 Posts
Interesting..might try that, Jon got my shifting pretty good, However I still get a Nasty Clunk sometimes when driving slow and coming to a stop..thanks for the tip!
My Only other complaint about Jon's tuning is the 800rpm idle...He says its neccessary with the Blower cars...idk
I have the "clunk" as well..interesting that you have it with the one piece driveshaft.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
The reason your car is clunking on down shifts is do to your line pressure in the trans being set to high. Have your guy fix it in the tune there's an adjustment for it.
Yes he's right about the idle some cars with the blower are experiancing stalling when slowing down. Raising the idle is needed but there is a happy setting so it doesn't pull in gear. The one piece DS isn't forgiving and your feel everything through it. Ford uses the two piece DS for so many reasons NVH is the biggest.
Justin at VMP tuning has been very patient with me to get my car right. There are so many trans adjustments its rediculous and most tuners don't take the time to get it perfect. He's the man if u want awesome drivability.

3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the "clunk" as well..interesting that you have it with the one piece driveshaft.
I get a clunk from a delayed shift from time to time in traffic,,Useing the hill management it does not happen..In hill management it not only locks out 6 ,,It delays shifting a little longer and the shifts are a bit tighter..

3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Search of Hill Management on 2011 Mustang GT

found this....
The automatic transmission also features a grade-assist or ‘hill mode’ to improve drive-ability on hilly terrain. This technical innovation uses vehicle input-acceleration pedal position, vehicle speed and brake status-to automatically determine the correct gear ratio while on an incline or decline. Hill mode eliminates sixth gear, extends lower gear operation on uphill climbs and provides additional grade or engine braking for coast-downs.

· Registered
374 Posts
If the car seems to operate better in Hill Management mode, why not have your tuner hook up a tune that uses that strategy for trans control? (minus the 6th gear lockout of course)

I like the trans config just how the tune came from Justin the first time, I have been experiencing the stall under a very narrow set of conditions (going to idle from 1 or 2mph). Since I live halfway across the US I am trying to work with somebody local on that piece as they can sit in the car and feel/experience the condition and log/change immediately to test. Appears this issue is a bit tricky on some blower cars. So my local guy has the car for a few weeks and is working with SCT and some others on trying to figure it out.

· Registered
309 Posts
My car had the clunk too especially when you are coming fast to a stop. I sent an email about it to Justin and sent me a new file. The first tune that I purchased from Justin was great except for the clunk but now he also changed the fan setting and when I asked he said that it's more aggresive setting. My thing is if the timing was not increased(don't know this) or anything else why change the fan settings? I'm a little concerned with the fan running for extended periods.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
I'm thinking that was a smart move having your fans coming on sooner keeps it running cooler.
My car had the clunk too especially when you are coming fast to a stop. I sent an email about it to Justin and sent me a new file. The first tune that I purchased from Justin was great except for the clunk but now he also changed the fan setting and when I asked he said that it's more aggresive setting. My thing is if the timing was not increased(don't know this) or anything else why change the fan settings? I'm a little concerned with the fan running for extended periods.

3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking that was a smart move having your fans coming on sooner keeps it running cooler.
The fans are not just on and off..They have different strength settings

3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.