Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems that all the big power cars are running Glides and TH400. Is anyone running a C4 or a 4R100 on a Mod motor Stang? They make the bellhousing for the C4. But all I see is the other two trans being used on here? Whats the deal? Will the 4R100 not fit? C4 too weak?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Money is probably the big factor. The 4R70W/AOD-E, built to handle lets say 1000+ hp, is big money and then usually you get a lockup converter which is big money as well. By the time it's all said and done, you may have as much as $4000-$5000 into the setup. My experience with C4's is that they only were good for a few passes before the high gear clutches were shot. Nowadays, they make better parts for them so that may not be an issue anymore. A top of the line C4 is still quite a bit of money once all is said and done. A complete setup will probably cost somewhere in excess of $3000+ and you no longer have overdrive.

The TH400 is a pretty stout trans stock. A few simple upgrades in critical areas and they handle some power. My setup probably cost me less than $2500 for everything with brand new trans, converter, bell and I bought the shifter and other stuff used. A glide is used in lighterweight cars usually. Heavy turbo cars like glides as well because the weight of the car and gearing in the trans loads the turbo even harder.

Nothing is unbreakable but a properly setup glide is about as good as you will get followed by a TH400 followed by (in my opinion) a big money 4R70W/AOD-E followed by a C4. The 4R100 is not used because it is very large and heavy.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I've seen plenty of 4R70w cars. But not one 4R100 car. What car has the C4 with twin screws? I did a search and all I see is discussion of Glides ,TH400, and 4R70W.
KB 2.2, C-4, solid rear, no nitrous, full a/c! ..........

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
It seems that all the big power cars are running Glides and TH400. Is anyone running a C4 or a 4R100 on a Mod motor Stang? They make the bellhousing for the C4. But all I see is the other two trans being used on here? Whats the deal? Will the 4R100 not fit? C4 too weak?
the C-4 cant hold the torque of a turbo that is why i took mine out and bought a power glide

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Huh? I'm not sure who built your C-4, but we're running them in 8.50 or faster Renegade cars out here. Same guy who built JR's twin screw 8.70 trans.
LOL....................He wanted something ya don't have to pull all the time to repair or refresh.
The glide he has will last an entire season and not require pulling......only the normal oil changing.

·
Registered
587 Posts
LOL....................He wanted something ya don't have to pull all the time to repair or refresh.
The glide he has will last an entire season and not require pulling......only the normal oil changing.
Who said you have to pull a C4 all the time to repair or refresh? There's no doubt a Glide is a stronger trans, and if you want an all out strip only car it's definitely the way to go. However I never said the C4's needed constant repairing or refreshing. They've lasted the entire season, you just need to have a competent trans builder.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Who said you have to pull a C4 all the time to repair or refresh? There's no doubt a Glide is a stronger trans, and if you want an all out strip only car it's definitely the way to go. However I never said the C4's needed constant repairing or refreshing. They've lasted the entire season, you just need to have a competent trans builder.
turbos love to kill trans and they will kill a c-4

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
LOL!!! Who in the hell is running faster than 8.50 with a c-4 and it lasts and entire season????

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Ok ill settle this I have an extra black 2004 cobra and i have a C-4 that is built with the best parts money can buy it has every bell and whistle Ill put it together and prove that a turbo car will annihilate a c-4 trans. let me finish moving in to our new bigger building and Ill get right on this

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
I had a well built C4 and it would break EVERY time I got on it hard. I mean EVERY time, it was always something. Turbos and big torque owned every C4 I've ever had.
And tell everyone where turbos love to "freight train"?:rock:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.