Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having a problem with my car while doing full throttle runs. When I shift (lifting off the gas) I am getting a violent buck when I release the clutch and am back under full throttle. It feels like the ignition gets shut off for just a split second and turned right back on. You can feel the car go back to full power, then it's like the motor cuts off for a split second and then returns to full power. The motor is not cutting out or shutting of it just gives the feeling like it is. When this happens it causes a violent lash through the drivetrain and car.

My mods are CAI, 2.93, BBK catted X, FM cat back, and an Autologic dyno tuned chip.

I have driven a JLP tuned car with almost exactly the same mods except for the Diablo chip and that car doesn't do it. I have also driven several stock cars that don't do this. I have a friend that just got his car tuned by the same tuner I used and he has the same problem.

I asked for help with this problem several months ago and someone suggested I check to make sure the timing retarder during shifts was shut off. It had not been turned off but doing so hasn't helped the problem.

Could this be a problem with the Autologic chips, my tuner, or maybe my car. It just seems awfully coincidental that two cars tuned by the same tuner ended up with the same problem.

I am looking forward to the information available from the vast amount of knowledge on this board.:king

·
Registered
250 Posts
I guess my first question would be.....what does your tuner say? Is he aware of the problem and tried to fix it? If so....you might try another tuner's set of eyeballs on your chip.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You can post on the lightning forum and ask Sal of power surge performance about your problem he is a Autologic dealer. I had this same problem Sal said the chip was not making good contact. need to build up contacts on pcm. By the way he gave me an awsome tune for my truck he also is a great tuner for the cobras .:blob

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted my tuner shortly after he worked on it. It didn't take me long to find the problem because I couldn't wait to go out and hammer the thing with the new mods. He said that he hadn't had any complaints about it but he had not done alot of 03's at that point. He did say he was going to do some checking on it.....but I never got a call back from him. I ended up calling him about the timing retarder deal and he had me bring the chip down so he could shut that off. But as I said that didn't help.

I had just resolved to shifting a little slower to eliminate the problem but when my friend had his tuned a week ago by the same tuner......and ended up with the same problem......it made me go hmmmmmm.

I have not gone to another tuner yet because I am happy with my dyno results (442/450 SAE with 11.5 at the tailpipe) and I don't want to pay for another chip.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
conleymotorsports said:
You can post on the lightning forum and ask Sal of power surge performance about your problem he is a Autologic dealer. I had this same problem Sal said the chip was not making good contact. need to build up contacts on pcm. By the way he gave me an awsome tune for my truck he also is a great tuner for the cobras .:blob
Did you have this problem on a Cobra or L? If the chip is not making good contact I would have expected the problem to show up on my dyno graphs in hp, tq, and or a/f #'s. My graphs were smooth across the board.

I will stop by the L forum and see what Sal has to say. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an Autologic chip in my Cobra and it doesn't have the problem you describe. Chris Johnson tuned mine.

Good Luck

·
Registered
924 Posts
It was with a lightning I'm getting ready to send Sal my computer so he can build up my contacts.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
cobragb said:
I have an Autologic chip in my Cobra and it doesn't have the problem you describe. Chris Johnson tuned mine.

Good Luck
I do tend to believe it is a tuner thing. If it wasn't, nobody would run these chips with this problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Send the chip to me, with your PCM code and list fo mods. I'll give you one of our programs to try out, I know my 03 Cobra customers have never mentioned a problem like that. I will download your current program, and keep it on file, and if you don't like my program, I'll put your original one back on.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LightningTuner said:
Send the chip to me, with your PCM code and list fo mods. I'll give you one of our programs to try out, I know my 03 Cobra customers have never mentioned a problem like that. I will download your current program, and keep it on file, and if you don't like my program, I'll put your original one back on.
I am going to give my tuner one more chance before I go another route. Thanks for your offer, I may take you up on that if I don't have any luck.

In your tune do you do anything with fuel pressure adjustments that would change pressures during shifts? I had also called my tuner again to see if he had any updates and they feel it may be a fuel pressure issue.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
LightningTuner said:
SAL ROX!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same problem!!!! I know exactly what you are talking about. It usuallys happens between 1500-2000 RPMs? If so then you and I have the same problem. I just got my car tuned after I installed a KB. I got some pretty low numbers. 540RWHP with 480 RWTQ. 15 pounds and fully bolted up. Who is your tuner? And yes....11.5 all the way across.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Vindication said:
I have the same problem!!!! I know exactly what you are talking about. It usuallys happens between 1500-2000 RPMs? If so then you and I have the same problem. I just got my car tuned after I installed a KB. I got some pretty low numbers. 540RWHP with 480 RWTQ. 15 pounds and fully bolted up. Who is your tuner? And yes....11.5 all the way across.
My problem only happens at high rpm's (6000-6500) when I shift very fast with a quick lift of the throttle.

My tuner is Dave at Kauffman Motorsports in Pa.. I spoke to one of the other guys in the shop yesterday (Dave was tuning someones car at the time) and he thinks it's a fuel pressure related problem. Something about the pcm drops the pressure on the shift and it doesn't recover quick enough. He said the 99' and up GT's would do that when they s/c'd them but he has not had an 03' Cobra with that problem.........yet. Supposedly they can do some adjustment in the chip to correct this. Does this sound correct to anyone??

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have used an autologic without having that problem. Mine was done by Chris Johnson. I read something awhile back about some autologic tuners having the timing taken out between shifts and the car falling on its face. I don't remember exactly. Don't know if that sounds familiar but if it does try a search.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Daryl B said:
I have used an autologic without having that problem. Mine was done by Chris Johnson. I read something awhile back about some autologic tuners having the timing taken out between shifts and the car falling on its face. I don't remember exactly. Don't know if that sounds familiar but if it does try a search.
That may have been my post you are refering to. I went back to the tuner and he supposedly turned off whatever kills the timing during shifts......but that didn't make any difference.

I have someone that is going to hook up a WDS to log the fuel pressure during shifts. The thing records the readings like 10 times a second. It will also read fuel pump voltage. There is a button to push when you want it to record which will keep 20 seconds before you pushed it and 40 seconds after. You can then put the readings on a graph to determine if there are any irregularitees(sp?). I won't be able to do this until next week.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a autologic tuned by danny swanson for my typical bolton 2.9 pullied car and it runs BETTER than stock. I have a feeling its

#1 bad contacts on the pcm (try cleaning it a bit more)
#2 bad tune

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jonas said:
I have a autologic tuned by danny swanson for my typical bolton 2.9 pullied car and it runs BETTER than stock. I have a feeling its

#1 bad contacts on the pcm (try cleaning it a bit more)
#2 bad tune
I don't know that it would be bad contacts. I have done probobaly 20 dyno pulls with no indication on the graphs of a chip interruption. Besides if it was a contact issue why would it only do it on high rpm fast shifts. I will be having the chip checked on Thursday though.

Bad tune???? I guess It's possible but all of the #'s look good(hp/tq/af). Again I should know better Thursday.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
trmn8r said:
I don't know that it would be bad contacts. I have done probobaly 20 dyno pulls with no indication on the graphs of a chip interruption. Besides if it was a contact issue why would it only do it on high rpm fast shifts. I will be having the chip checked on Thursday though.

Bad tune???? I guess It's possible but all of the #'s look good(hp/tq/af). Again I should know better Thursday.
Dave is a pretty good tuner. Im not saying he is the best but he is really worth going to, especially if thats your only option. He's a pretty cool dude, try and make sure you give him a chance to resolve the problem, even if it is his fault. Good luck, I hope you get it worked out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
trmn8r said:

the jolt in the driveline wiggles the chip with marginal contacts? :confused: just a shot in the dark

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sounds like a fuel cutout problem to me. Raise the rev limiter and dont kill timing up top.

Not everyone who tunes autologic has mass experience with 03 cobras. Like Jonas said, our autologic tuner out here has no such issues.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts