Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am running a VMP 93 performance tune and I notice sometimes on a cold morning with O/D off cruising around 45 when converter goes from unlock to lockup (like when letting off the gas and getting back into it in traffic) I'll get alittle whine noise right when converter locks up, only happens in 4th with O/D off when cold outside. I usually don't run it with O/D off so I've never heard any whine noise but I notice if I keep running it like this with O/D off between lock and unlock it stops making the noise completely. I'll also add the trans doesn't slip and shifts fine (barks tires in 1-2 & 2-3 without much effort) It only makes this little whine noise for a few seconds right after converter locksup.

Any reason for concern????

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a 05 vert auto love it I also have a 93 tune but no noise at shifting points how many miles on the trans 4000 here

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
21,000 miles but it's not making noise when shifting, it only does a small whine noise with overdrive off while flashing the converter (on and off gas while converter unlocks and locks at 45mph when cold) After warmup it doesn't do it anymore

I just got back from a testdrive after installing my 93oct mileage tune and it doesn't make the noise with that tune, so it was something in the performance tune making the converter do that noise. I like the mileage tune better for reg driving anyway and it's still performs real good even has better midrange pickup where the performance tune had alittle more off the line . I am just glad it wasn't my converter going bad after all.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
my converter whines when locked (4th and O/D)... guess it's slipping and time for PI.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does yours always whine after lockup? Because mine only does it when cold, once mine warms up it stops ...

·
Sonic Masterpiece
870 Posts
Mine doesn't whine, but I wanna just understand something here since I've got an auto, too.

Once I hit 40mph in 4th gear (and maybe 5th) the car will drop RPMS a little bit while in the same gear and i feel something mechanical happen. I'm guessing this is the converter locking up?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my converter whines when locked (4th and O/D)... guess it's slipping and time for PI.
mvon919

Does yours always whine after lockup? Because mine only does it when cold, and if I accelerate while it's locking up.. once mine warms up it stops ... So does yours do it continually and if so does that mean the verter is shot?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine doesn't whine, but I wanna just understand something here since I've got an auto, too.

Once I hit 40mph in 4th gear (and maybe 5th) the car will drop RPMS a little bit while in the same gear and i feel something mechanical happen. I'm guessing this is the converter locking up?
Yea I am pretty sure we're talking about the same thing :bigwink:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hey, yes. My tranny whines constantly with 4th and O/D. It's worse when cold... it's pretty annoying and I'm going to order PI converter now. It doesn't do that with other gears... so it's not planetary problem.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
It's more of a whistle...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had this problem. Ford put a new transmission in.
How many times did you have to take it in and hassel with them before they gave in and did it? And was yours slipping and not engageing in a gear or two or was it just making the whiney whistle noise??

Did you have to demod your car and put it back to stock before taking it in??

Thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts

This is true, stock the converter locks in 4th at about 40mph.

Which means that in 1st, 2nd and 3rd the converter is not locking. This has a negative impact on performance and gas milage.:mad2:

An easy way to see all of this happening is to datalog the shift points and torque converter.

Your tuner can program the auto tranny to shift at points you are happy with and also the converter can be programmed to lockup at a reasonable vehicle speed or rpm value in 2nd through 5th gears.

I have programmed mine to lock in 2nd. I wont go into details. Contact your tuner.
:tip:

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
This is true, stock the converter locks in 4th at about 40mph.

Which means that in 1st, 2nd and 3rd the converter is not locking. This has a negative impact on performance and gas milage.:mad2:

An easy way to see all of this happening is to datalog the shift points and torque converter.

Your tuner can program the auto tranny to shift at points you are happy with and also the converter can be programmed to lockup at a reasonable vehicle speed or rpm value in 2nd through 5th gears.

I have programmed mine to lock in 2nd. I wont go into details. Contact your tuner.
:tip:
Exactly. That's why I point my whistling to converter as I only hear it on 4th & O/D. IF it would be planetary problem, it should be audible with all gears as all planets are rotating all the time. I ordered new T/C and will swap it next month.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your tuner can program the auto tranny to shift at points you are happy with and also the converter can be programmed to lockup at a reasonable vehicle speed or rpm value in 2nd through 5th gears. I have programmed mine to lock in 2nd. I wont go into details. Contact your tuner.
Mine locks in second @ 40mph, MUCH better then stock!

Tim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts