Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the axle flange offset for an 8.8 rear offhand??

I am trying to find out if my new brakes will fit the rear of my new car....

The issue is that neither one is here yet, lol.
I think for once in my life I do not have a mustang here to find out what I need. :D

I need to know the axle flange offset of a normal 8.8" rear??

I have attached a picture of what I need to measure, it is the pic to the far right bottom corner. It is basically the measurement between the end of the axle flange on the rear to the edge of the actual axle,
(ie front face of axle housing flange to the front face of the axle flange, where the back of the wheel touches) see pic for better idea!!

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo45/stand66/03 Cobra/?action=view&current=axleflangeoffset.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Stan

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
If no one posts it up soon, I will be in the garage tonight and can measure it for you :tip:

--Joe

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
I had written down measurements from my setup a while back, and the axle offset measurement that I have is 3-3/8"

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dammit, no offense but I hope you are wrong. lol

I need the offset to be 2.5", and from looking around and other kits I have seen for sale, that seemed to be the norm on other setups, but I wanted to check with others first to make sure.

Basically I bought a brand new set of front and rear Wilwoods (6 piston front, 4 piston rear) for less than the fronts would have cost me, so its not a huge loss if they don't fit b/c I can just resell them, but it would be great to have the same setup front and back if possible.

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
I am gonna bet ya my measurements won't be far off, because I had to order my axles when I went to the 94-98 rearend (vs the 99-04 that I had before).
In any case, I am thinking that you can likely get some type of brackets made to mount those babies. My only issue with the aftermarket stuff is that most don't have emergency brake setups, and I kinda like an E- brake.
Let's see what Joe comes up with...

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, something will work out I am sure.
This setup actually comes with an integrated parking brake, which is another reason I wanted to use it. The car is also an auto so it would not be as big a deal if I did have to lose it....

I actually believe the rear end is out of a 96 to be honest.....

It sucks not having it in front of me to check on my own, but the deal was too good to pass up even if I can only use the front brake setup.

Thanks
Stan

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
You did real well, then ! It will be well worth it to get some brackets made up if you have to.

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I am finding on a couple other sites, your measurements are probably right. Most foxes with drums and then aftermarket kits use 2.5" offset whereas a "stock" disc setup uses a 3.25" ish offset....

The only way I would not be able to use them by making some mods it looks like, would be if the axle flange is any different, which I don't think it is, as if you look at the diagram I linked they only list two different 8.8" patterns and the one is for 05+ Mustangs......

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Stan,

I am sorry, I dropped the ball. I got busy in the garage and forgot. I will measure them tonight for you.

--Joe

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a problem, take your time. I am still waiting on all of it to show up anyway. I do have a feeling that you will be getting very close if not the same measurement as Ratt though....

Thanks

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
From what I am finding on a couple other sites, your measurements are probably right. Most foxes with drums and then aftermarket kits use 2.5" offset whereas a "stock" disc setup uses a 3.25" ish offset....

The only way I would not be able to use them by making some mods it looks like, would be if the axle flange is any different, which I don't think it is, as if you look at the diagram I linked they only list two different 8.8" patterns and the one is for 05+ Mustangs......
That's what I was going to say only it has more to do with ABS rings than disk vs: drum because late foxes came with disks but retained the same track width.

Since your issue is that the track width is going to be wider you can space the caliper out from the caliper bracket with washers to set it up & determine the necessary width, then have a machine shop cut some nice beefy spacers to replace the washers. Sure beats having to go the other direction and mill down the brackets...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I got about 2.90" to the back of the axle face. I could not measure the thickness of the axle but I would imagine it is about 1/4". So figure the total measurement would be around 3.15".

Hope this helps.

--Joe

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again guys.
They are telling me that the thickest one they sell would be for 2.81" offset, but I then asked him what they used for any other 96-98 disc break rear, and he said they had kits for it, but the only thing that would keep it from working at that point would be traction control or ABS as their kits are not compatible with either.

AFAIK, all newer mustangs have ABS correct?? I haven't had a newer mustang in quite some time, so I have forgotten, but I have to assume that it does.
And with that fact, I am unsure whether or not I can make the kit work properly or not on the rear.......

·
Banned
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I found that they DO make a kit to fit this setup (140-10158), but boy is it expensive.
It looks like it goes for about $1400 new just for the rear kit, don't know if I want to pony up that kind of money for the rears right now.
I may just find a "matching" rear rotor, and paint the rear calipers black for now......

The good news is I should be able to sell off this other rear setup to a foxbody owner for about $500 plus, which will offset the cost of the fronts quite nicely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.