Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is my problem, I just installed an 01 IRS in my 99, and I noticed a bit of swap in the rear, so I jacked it up and noticed a bit of up and down movement in the wheel. !st thought was...great, bad bearings.

So before I tore it down I checked the axle nut and it was a tad bit loose. It was around 150 lbft. tight. I re-torqued it to 240. THe wheel was rock solid, NO movement. So I drove it.

Still squirrelly when accelerating... felt like I was on ice. Jacked it back up and the nut was loose again?

any clue why it keeps getting loose? I can swear this will fix my problem, but it sure seems to go hand in hand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did you check the bolt/nut? Are they stripped or really rusty or anything?

·
Registered
110 Posts
if you drill it where you need to to keep the nut tight you aren't compromising stength. it is at a place that see's no shock load from the drive train. But I would also check the threads on the nut. I remember on my last FWD car that there was a small, we will say dent, on the nut opposite from the hex, that would keep compression on the threads and keep it from backing out. maybe you just need to replace the nut...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Are they a one time use nut like the front spindles...? If so, replace them and your problem should go away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.