Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I made it over to Chris Johnson's finally for my tune this Thursday and was plauged by one problem after the other. To start with it seems as though my clutch was slipping and was going to end my day very early. To my suprise after a couple of wasted half pulls the clutch now seemed as though it wanted to half way hold. After that, the car seemed as though it was blowing the spark off the plug or something and didn't want to rev. We then changed the plugs per CJ's reccomendation and gapped them a little tighter than what I had. After getting the plugs in and my tubes hooked back up, the car had a strage noise comming from the driver's side valve train/timing chain. It still seemed to run fine, just had a clacking noise. Since getting home Friday I have already got the timing cover off as well as the valve covers, there is no obvious damage to anything other than the secondary tensioner on the drivers head seems to not be functioning properly. So as of now, I am back down to getting the noise fixed (hopefully it is this tensioner) and install a 3 finger type race clutch setup. I hope to be back on the dyno soon!

On a side note, Chris Johnson is one class act. I highly reccomend him for anything you guys need. He seemed very concerned with the problems I was having and helped all he could and offered advice and suggestions. THNAKS CJ! I will no doubt be using CJ from here out with all my tunning. I think, without a doubt, that this thing will be making big power once I get everything worked out!

Chad

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Shit like that happens to me all the time..

FRUSTRATING :(

Better luck next time..

Jim V.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Chad,
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hope you get it all worked out. What clutch are you going to try now?

Good luck, Keep at it!!!

Steve

·
Registered
204 Posts
well at least nothing broke man! I am sure you will put down 300 to the rear wheels no problem!!! :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Chad,

You shouldn't have a problem. I don't know if you have already figured it out or not but Ford redesigned at least the driver's side head secondary chain tensioner (they might have done the passenger side as well???...dont know). Mine wouldn't function correctly after my rebuild. You can read all about it by doing a search on the corral for under my user name (same as here). It is not a big deal at all replacing it. Good luck and lets here some killer #s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chad, what size injectors are you going to run? How much boost from that JT trim. I too will be using the JT trim. Now I am changing over my fuel system (Weldon pump, regulator and dial a flow). I am thinking about using 55# injectors. You are so right about Cris Johnson, he is THE MAN!!! Thanks, Jeff B. (1BAD98)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff, I am running the 55psi injecters with an FMU and hoping to see 20-22psi from the JT-trim. I plan on keeping it really conservative and trying to make it last a while. Good luck with your new set-up, sounds like it will be really strong!

Chad

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chad, what size pulley are you going to run to make 20-22 pounds of boost with the JT trim? Thanks for the info. Jeff B. (1BAD98):confused:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff, I think the 3.33 should make 20+ easy, I am going to run it first and see. If it doesn't I will drop the 3.12 on or send my dampner back and have it oversized.

Chad

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chad, Thanks for the info. What improvement does the oversized dampner do? Is it for turning blower faster or is the improvement from the larger size (more contact area for the belt)? Maybe both? Thanks, Jeff B. (1BAD98)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, you get to run a larger blower pulley (more belt contact area) and still turn the blower harder due to the dampner being a larger diameter.

Chad

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chad, What brand are you running? Is there a problem with running an 8 rib dampner with 6 rib pulley system until I get them upgraded? With running 10% overdriven dampner is there any problems with the operation of the waterpump, power steering or AC? Thanks for the info. Jeff B. (1BAD98)

·
Registered
332 Posts
i use a 7.25" asp crank pulley. i have had no problems with the water pump or alternator. i dont know how the dampeners fit but to fit the asp pulley it does require some grinding on the timing chain cover. i wouldnt want to go any bigger than the 7.25 cause then you have to start grinding into where the crank trigger bolts.

i did piggy back the stock dampener but that was thrown off, luckily no damage when it exited the car. talking to the asp engineer he would not tell me that this is ok to do for liability reasons. he did explain that the aluminum pulley does dissapate heat better and that as long as i didnt beat on the car continuosly that i would not have a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts