Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Of course, I'll change my mind about 6 times in the next 3 weeks but I'm OK with that. It's still looking good no matter what I do to it.

Dave
That is why I can't get anywhere! I know that disorder!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
I know right??????

Changed already. I found some 275/45/16 Toyo Proxes and they make an 8" wide TT2 with a 4.89 BS which is perfect. I think I wouldn't have to tub it.

The wife is up in arms about the bottle and what to do. She wants to drive it and enjoy the power but doesn't like all the switches and knobs and such of the bottle. I can't believe she actually said, "why don't you just stick with the turbo or supercharger thingy idea like the mustang was. I liked that." Um, did I just hear her say I have a pass to buy what I want as long as it's not the noisy blower like before and it's easy to just step on and go???? I think so. Damn, my mind is racing again. I really want to go with the Vortech idea if not a twin 57mm setup but that darned intercooler idea kills it all. I can't find one that would fit in the Fairlane's grill area without turning the car into a Honda wanna be drifter. It's got to be effective but fit.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
I have a nice ported intake and I'd only go that route if I found a trade deal.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
The bottle is gone. Yes, the ADHD got to me and now I have V3 Si trim Vortech under the hood. I have a few fitment issues to deal with but I think this route will work perfectly fine. The wife will be able to drive it and not worry about the buttons but still gets to play with it as she wants to (and she does). I just need some fuel and air parts to get as well as the tuner and decide if I'm going with an intercooler or not.

First, the teaser shot......

Now the installed shot with the coolant crossover out and the fan out too........

Here's the fitment issues,

Fan and blower inlet will interfere with each other so I need to move the radiator forward, use a different fan, adjust tis one some or something to help it fit..........

I'm not sure, but I don't think I can get a puller in there. I have to check if the cobra has a different alternator setup than the Mark did because there isn't much room there at all for a pulley.............

I have to get a tensioner pulley, some good securing hardware and work on these issues. I'll make a new coolant crossover setup because I think what people want for the Vortech one is just stupid. I can make one easier.

Well, I'm now on track and have my goal. A good MAF and some 42# injectors and I think a simple 450hp will do just fine.

Thoughts??? And shut up about my indecisiveness.

Dave

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
I realized that I have to do more now that the engine will work harder even in it's stock short block condition. I picked these little guys up real cheap and will install them for the coolant crossover to save the back cylinders on the drivers side. I think I'll have to do something similar on the front if I can't modify the stock tube. Finding 1.25od tubing to do so isn't easy locally. I don't like the idea that I may have to run an upper setup like the MMR one with out the bypass going to the lower. Having the thermostat in the upper would make it run the same style as almost every other car out there but having to drill the thermo to get it right just doesn't sound fun. We'll see. I know it would look nicer that way though. Right now, I'm on the hunt for the right idler pulley and spacers and blower 3.6" or bigger pulley. This cog one won't do me any good.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Little to update here. I did get a 3.60" pulley for the blower and I ordered some stainless allen head bolts for the whole setup to match the rest of the bay. I paid $24 for 3 freaking bolts!!!! I am still working on gutting the doors and everything to get it ready for prime and paint. I have to cut out the rear passenger fender and replace it due to the rust ont he wheel well arch and the dent in the back of it from the PO. Those are the thing's I'm scared of. I'm not good at body work.

The headache I'm dealing with now is the blower to radiator space. I can't really move the engine and trans backwards without lowering it or cutting the trans tunnel and reworking the exhaust. That leaves me with moving the radiator. That sucks with the current space I have and the lack of desire to cut into the radiator support. The more forward I go, the less room I have for an intercooler and it also makes it look more and more modified than stock 63 Fairlane. I have to compromise somewhere. I might just put a filter right on the end of the blower and not have an elbow on it for cooler air from somewhere else. I've seen it done all over but don't like that idea. I know I'm going to need a thicker radiator too which only pulls more space from what I have already. Kind of bummed on this part.

I think the biggest bummer on this is the cold outside. It's in the single digits now and I can't get out in the garage. I'm planning a heater build so I can tolerate it out there. I'm also researching the idea of blow in insulation. It's mildly insulated but not enough. I need new doors too. We just picked up an LED light bar for the RZR and we are getting a plow so there's more money out of the garage fund. We need to have room for customer and family cars and to be able to get out of the driveway.

I may not get to do anything on the car with all these other things. Summer is coming though.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
I was a little discouraged yesterday as I was working on 3 other vehicles and looking over at the Fairlane. I finished up and went over and messed with it. I found a 19x26x2.5" radiator that would work in the bay as a thicker core and would fit forward more between the rails and just into the core support some. That leaves me with just 2" of room between the hood latch support and the radiator for an intercooler. In my searching for the radiator on line, the wife asked when I was going to look up the A/C setup for the car. Well, that throws out the whole FMIC idea. I'm not going to run any meth or anything in it either so I have only two options. One, no intercooling of any kind, or two, go with an air to water intercooler setup. This is a street car so that does sound a bit on the extreme side. Maybe not. I can get an intercooler in the fenderwell (as a member once suggested to me here), have the heat exchanger up with the AC condenser and radiator, (which gives me more room for the radiator to move also giving me more room for the fan and blower intake), pump just about anywhere and then a 1 or 2 gallon water tank in the drivers side fender (or even in the trunk with long lines like the racers do. I'm not screaming for weight reduction. It's a street car that weighs 3070 with me in it now. This isn't a bad idea but does sound different for the street. I do have the room for all the components in the car. Is the cooling effect worth it and would I be able to starve off heat soak with cruising and occasional blasts? Is all that stuff worth it or is it better to just leave it as is and run no cooler? Of course, I'll do that first while I research the other idea but it does have me thinking. I'm going to size up and cut out some foam to the size of a CFM rated cooler and fit it in for fun. Why not. At this rate, I'm going to build this drivetrain for a tube chassis setup and have to swap it into one.

Anyone have any experience with A/W setups? Their design are simple enough. Getting the biggest exchanger is the key to cooling and efficiency is all about the CFM and HP support of the cooler. These are easier to work in than an A/A but just have the added connections and such. Look at the pic below and tell me it's an insane idea. Just 10 minutes of searching in the middle of typing this and I find this.........

·
Registered
124 Posts
I did not read your whole thread but I seen you talking about cooling and did not know if you are aware of this option.

The Vortech aftercooler.

Not sure what the future plans are but if you go to a 8 ribs setup for the blower and acc. pulleys down the road you will need space the blower out away from the motor toward the radiator some more.

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
After seeing the prices for the Aftercooler even used, I'll not hold my breath on them. I can't find the total dimensions on them but looking at all the pics I see and my bay, I'd have just a little inner fender manipulation to get it to work but it's doable. The only concerns I still have though are the model specific for a 96-98 Cobra ever coming available, and the short charge pipe from the cooler to the intake isn't enough for a blow thru design MAF. I plan to use a slot style with this setup and it needs a good tube length for proper reading. If one happened to show itself for sale for that price or less, I'd see what I could do to get it but like I said, I'm not holding my breath.

As for the 8 rib, nah. I'll deal with a little belt slippage if I have to. It's not a racecar that needs every ounce. I'll sacrifice there for the space.

Thanks though. And I replied to your message.

Dave

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
I built a foam mock up of the real IC size and tried to configure it as I'd need. It looks like I'd cut a hole in the side of the passenger inner fender where the air filter currently is and I'd put it in there. It would be sticking out into the bay by about 3 inches though but that's not bad. I could paint that black to match the bay and not stand out or I could leave it. I'm letting that idea sit for a while and just looking at non intercooled for now. I needed to do the fitment thing for later on when I get the engine rebuilt and forged though. At least I know what I can do and don't have to worry about reorganizing things when I go to get started on that plan.

So, for now, I will just go with non intercooled and stick with less than 10psi.

I picked up a 3.42" blower pulley for later but that will be put on the shelf. I also got a set of 50# high impedance injectors for use with the stock PCM. They will be good up to the hp level's I'm looking at. I still need to get a reply from Vortech about the idler pulley setup. I may have to get a pulley and machine out some spacers of my own if they don't reply.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dave I'm gonna tell you this then leave it alone. These builds we attempt are without plans or engineers so everything we do is on the fly and the mock ups seem to work perfectly in our heads. Its not until we are in ass knuckle deep do we see the space issues and configuration mismatches that gives us headache after headache. Take a look at both our build pages and see that we have pages in the teens and over 20,000 views with yours over 30,000. Its just not that easy however it can be done!!!! Now its cold there which brings me to my point. The brain sometimes needs a few days, WEEKS rest to formulate its plan(s) REMEMBER, FOR EVERY PROBLEM THERE IS A SOLUTION!!!!! Let your brain rest a while giving the problem a thought every once in a while and the solution will come, TRUST ME. I ran into more problems on this build and but for the help of a good friend that happens to be a long time mechanic and former FORD tech I would have lost my damn mind on this. Things even stumped him and a few days later that light bulb would come on and we would say "how about this"???

Its gonna come bro you just have to be patient and give the brain a rest for a minute. Keep documenting because as sure as my name there are a few watching and waiting so they can do it too and they will have learned from all our mistakes a pitfalls.

A320PYLT

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
That's exactly why I do it. I look at others and learn what they did wrong or right but try to be my own for style.

I've decided to hold the intercooler idea till after I finish the engine. I'm going to run low boost at the beginning and it'll be fine. I have the room and don't have to modify anything except the inner fender well when and if I do decide to go IC so it's not a worry.

You should see my old mustanf and all the pics I have from it in the build. It was in 2 different magazines with two different setups. I had 2 different blowers and 2 different turbo setups on that before I finally found my way and finished it....then sold it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #257 · (Edited)
I really haven't paid much attention to the fairlane lately. I got a power rack and pinion and the correct borgeson joint only to find that I need to move the engine back about an inch, which I wanted to do anyways but not sure if I can. The steering rack has to be spaced forward about 1/2" also to clear the engine mount and the header. I have to cut part of the drivers mount bars off and move it forward about 1" as well and then I can run power steering. It'll be worth it in the end. That will surely give me more room for the blower to fan clearance. I'm looking for a dual fan setup that will space them how I want so the blower will fit with them. The A/W intercooler idea is not really going anywhere. I really would like to get a good sized A/A FMIC and forget it. I may have to slowly work on momma with the AC idea. I helped a buddy drag home a 65 stang and we pulled the 289/3 speed out and it got me a little more in the mood to play with the car. Weather is slowly changing and my desire is growing again. Now the kids need to back off the sports and stuff so I can stay home part of the week.

We'll see.

Here's my steering issues.

New joint and dropped rack bushings.

Here's a pic of the rack installed but you can barely make out the problem with the black cross bar to the engine mount that is in the way.

That's about as far as I've gotten. I really need to get back out there.

Oh, I have an idler pulley setup on the way from Vortech. Been waiting on it for quite a while and am told it ships this week. We'll see.

Dave

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Well, I've been in political battles with friends and family on my time off from work and kids sports and such. I had to go out of state to do some rental damage repair from a crooked renter and that ate up a good chunk of change. This weekend, I decided to lay off the politics and get back to the garage so I can regain my sanity and starve off a stroke from listening to stupidity.

I pulled the engine out and moved the mounts forward an inch as well as the bar on the frame that supports the engine mounts and goes over the steering connection. While I had the engine out, I got the coolant crossover mod done for the rear of the heads. I got the entire engine back in and now I have to re-drill the trans mount since it's moved back also. I think this is going to be the room I needed for the steering fitment as well as room for a bigger radiator. I am thinking I'm just going to keep the blower setup on the car since I went ahead with this fix. I just need to get all the parts back on the engine and get back to work on the body.

I still am unsure about what to do with the front coolant crossover and the lower hose setup. Modify it to work as is or go with an MMR or other hose setup. I do know I now need to get a bigger radiator and know which I'm going with. Have to recuperate funds from the rental fix though. More to come as weather warms up and funds show up.

Dave

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
I got a little done to the car and made a decision. Engine and all is back in, I installed the 50# injectors and am going ahead with the blower setup. I have ditched the AC idea and still haven't told the wife. Don't care. I'm the one driving it. So, I started on a FMIC setup. I can run a 3" IC with 2.5-3" pipe after cutting as much as I could off from the front rock shield and grill without destroying the factory look. I built my own support bar from the lower frame cross up to the latch assembly so I could make the needed room for the intercooler.

First, here is the coolant crossover in the back before I put it all back in the car...

Here's a bent 3" foam intercooler shaped to the one I'm getting. This is before I modified the support and latch assembly......

Here's the grille and stone guard installed as well as a modified hood latch lever and grill support brace........

I now have room to put the actual intercooler in place when I finally get it. The engine is back about 1" from before which gave me much needed room for a bigger radiator and to get the steering to fit. It's close with the steering but it works. I had to extend the 4 link bars to give the driveshaft that needed play but I wanted to do that for better handling and fit the slightly bigger tires back there when I go that route. So, here is the engine all back in place and going together.......

I'm going to run a slot style blow thru MAF up by the TB and use an atmospheric BOV closer to the intercooler. I'm also going to run the On3 coolant setup and delete the lower thermo. I still need to decide if I'm going to use the cap on the radiator and run the degas bottle or just run an old overflow and fill thru the thermo. That would give me more open space and a cleaner look overall. We'll see. No I need to get the radiator, IC and start cutting and welding some aluminum. I'll get back to it soon I hope.

Dave

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
It's been a while since I posted anything because it's been that long since I've played with the car. I've been so busy with the house and kids. Anyways, Intercooler is mounted and I'm running the tubing from it to the blower and the intake. Had a few different options but I think I have settled on this route for better component placement and MAF reading.

I cut into the radiator support for the hoses and such. I have to clearance them better once I have the final pieces in place and positioned.

I'm thinking this is the final routing. The aluminum 3" piece is just for angle and mockup. I'm running 2.5" on everything in this setup. Plenty big for the power I'm looking at.

I think the filter will go in the fender well just where I have that fuel filter positioned. I can fit the blower inlet tube between the two lines and it can be placed there I think with the right angled tubing. Once it's in place, I'll cut out a cool air inlet for air to reach it rather than use the hot radiator air for intake.

Here is what the intercooler will look like through the grill. It's not mounted in this pic but it shows the final look. Not bad. I was afraid I'd have to rice the car out to fit one in there. Everything works and I still have room for a 2.25" radiator that I'll get ordered in someday.

More to come eventually. Other projects are killing my time and money.

Dave

241 - 260 of 284 Posts