Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has a steam cleaner laying around and i was wondering if it would be safe to use it on my motor to clean it.. but i thought about it.. wouldn't it burn the wires or something? since the pressure is a lot and the temperature is like 1000 degrees my father says. thanks guys.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i use my steam cleaner to clean my engine all the time.

just do not spray electrical devices with it. have a lot of good rags too. spray an area, wipe it clean/dry. it turns out very nice.

you can still see some moisture on the engine cover that i did not dry off before snapping the pic. this is without any tire dressing or engine shine.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My father has a steam cleaner laying around and i was wondering if it would be safe to use it on my motor to clean it.. but i thought about it.. wouldn't it burn the wires or something? since the pressure is a lot and the temperature is like 1000 degrees my father says. thanks guys.
The temperature shouldn't be that high. Water becomes steam at 212 degrees at sea level (atmospheric pressure). The only way to get the temperature higher is to raise the pressure dramatically but I'm not sure that's really needed. I thought most steam cleaners only went to about 250 to 300+ degrees at the nozzle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For many vehicle owners, the method of steam cleaner for cars cleaning causes distrust. Indeed, how can steam, albeit hot, remove stubborn layers of dirt from the hood or engine? The secret is that the cleansing substance is supplied under high pressure using a special generator. Steam penetrates into the most hidden places of the body and the entire structure, which is difficult to achieve with a water jet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts