Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 02 Roush Auto Coupe GT. I'm going to be supercharging (or turbo?) it soon.

Who's SC gives you the most power for the money? Which is going to be the most efficient? Which isn't going to blow my motor up?

I use my car as a daily driver, and want functionality as much as HP.

And what do you think of turbos?

·
Registered
4 Posts
third that procharger, getting my setup installed in mid august....

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am with Brooksie on this one.

Get in touch with Dennis Reinhart, he has a great kit, that is basically plug and play your way to 350-375rwhp with the auto. The only real problem you will have, is the chip might have to be done a couple of times because of the Auto, but all programming is being done by Fordchip, so if anyone can make it work it is Fordchip.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Turbo's the only way to go I feel. Little example: SVT Contours with their little 2.5L DOHC engines are posting upwards of 75 more foot-pounds of torque at the front wheels versus the Vortech kit - that doesn't come intercooled! Price would probably end up being the same for many super/turbo kit comparos.
A turbo would 'wake up' more on a GT anyway...
But if you don't go that route I'd recommend the P-1SC - read super good stuff about it.

Either way - GOOD LUCK!! :D :D

·
Registered
300 Posts
We are a distributor for Pro-Charger, Paxton & Vortech. We sell about 10 ProChargers a month. We only sell the other 2 if a customer cannot be sold on the ProCharger. Just an example.
02 GT- We installed Dr. Gas X-pipe, 2 chamber flowmasters, Diablo
custom chip & ProCharger P-1SC 2 core intercooler & 10PSI.
The car dynoed 430RWHP. Now im not here to ruffle the feathers of the vortech guys, Vortech makes a good product but I can sell you ProCharger with an intercooler for less than you would pay for a vortech without a cooler. There seems to always be a debate on the boards about ProChargers seals, noe im not going to say that there has never been a problem with them somewhere, but we have NEVER had a ProCharger come back for warranty under any circumstances. Some of the early seal problems were guys overfilling the blowers.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My opinion of Procharger was soured when dealing with the kit my brother used to have on his 95GT. It was pourly desinged and never really made the power it should have. This was before Prochargers latest designs though. The head unit he was running was a PB600. Any of the blowers will run good and make good power, it is really a matter of choice. At this point, Procharger does seem to have the market covered on the BIG blowers though. I guess my recomendation was to pick up a used S-trim kit for ~$2000 and have fun. The S-trim is a proven blower, is very durable, and the install is a breeze. If you were looking at new blowers, I am sure the Procharger is much more cost effective with it's inclusion of an air/air cooler. The feather ruffling we do here is all in good fun over the Procharger vs Vortech thing and quite frankly I enjoy it. The only gripe I have in all honesty though, is the ratings and flow#'s of the Procharger blowers. From what I have seen, they seem to be somewhat inflated. I guess it is better to go with apparently more blower than you need when getting one. Am I way off base here? For example, on Aarons car, it makes awesome power no doubt, but wouldn't a F1R be plenty capable of making the power he is making? I know he had one before, why the switch to the F2M? Dave King and Joe Stewart have neither one ran better with the F2M than they did the Novi 2000 (which is rated a good bit less than the F1R, much less the F2M). I am by no way trying to be controversial on the issue, as I am a novice and do not have near the experience of most of you tuners/race car builders. I base my case off of talking to others and reading the #'s. Just my thoughts:salute

·
Registered
300 Posts
I really dont keep up with the rated CFM on the other manufacturers blowers. But on Aarons car the F2M was worth over a tenth and at the level we are on with his car it was worth the switch. Alot of times blowers are compared and whats not being compared are the engine combos. For example Reggie burnette runs real well with his Novi 2000 which im sure flows less than the F-2, so some people would say if reggie is running 8.70s
with only a Novi 2000 what would he run if he had a blower like aarons. Now I do not Know the exact specifics of Reggies motor , but I do know that his mtr is at least 2 points higher in compression than Aarons. Now in our experience those differences can be worth 100HP or more. Now take and put an F-2 in the combo and the car is less likey to see the big gains because the tune-up would have to be less agressive, due to the fact that the car already has higher cylinder pressure due to higher static compression. And then of course you have camshaft timing events and so on. to get to the point , the specifics of the overall combo are very important when comparing. aaron's engine is old and worn out not to mention the cylinder heads and camshafts are outdated compared to what we are doing now. Aaron spent money last year building his car and not the engine.
But all of that will change in the off season, we will be building a new combo to tackle the seven second zone with the f-2. I will say that vortech makes a good reliable blower but ProCharger has a stronghold on the market for good reasons. Vortech got fat and happy in the mid to late 90s everybody was running there product. They got lazy and quit coming out with bigger & better blower. ProCharger on the other hand is releasing new & better blowers all the time. They also support the racers and vortech does not. Just like you said Procharger has the market handled on the big blowers, thats because Vortech cant produce a unit that makes anywhere near the power of an F-3R. You have had great results with the vortech unit and so have alot of other people, but i can make higher horsepower numbers with the prochargers and less boost due to the fact that they are more efficient.

·
Registered
207 Posts
/me sits back with some chips and awaits the Vortech Camp response LOL

:argue :argue :argue :argue

Jeff

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have no argument, I agree with most everything he said. Other than Reggies car has 9.XX compression. Not sure what Aarons is. I do not want to get into them two racing though, that is beside the point LOL.

Maybe we can test them all on the same car in the near future. D1, F1, and the JT. Non-intercooled or intercooled,and all pullied for the same boost. just as long as they are all the same and on the same car. Sounds like a good write up for modularfords!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with that. We have the dyno the car and the ProChargers.
Maybe we can put this subject to bed. All I need is Novi's & Vortechs. See you at the shootout. As usual we are scrambling at the last minute to get the car put bach together. In Norwalk the trans took a dump and Aaron was having to shift from first to third . Still ran an 8.80 deep staged , skipping a gear and lifting at the 900 ft mark with the car on fire. We missed qualifying number one by one thousandth with all those problems. Hopefully we wont have to work on it at the track and you and I can drink many
cold units, my treat.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Getting back to the posters original questions, for a street set up I believe the Vortech is the only way to go. Ease of installation, reliabilty wins, hands down, as far as I am concerned.

Procharger, seal issue fixed? I have a good friend with a D-1 that is a 3 time loser! Disclaimer: He set up the evac system per ATI instructions and that turned out to be the whole issue. Jimmy LaRocca told us out to set the system up and now there is no issues.

There is no blower out there that will not "blow your motor up" without the correct set-up and tune. There is always a risk. You need to find a shop that has experience in installation with whatever kit you choose, take his recommendations and let them tune your combo.

I do agree that Procharger has the race scene covered pretty handily. I don't agree that Vortech has totally forgotten about the racers tho. You have a couple of guys over in the drag radial ranks that would disagree with you on that.

(flame suit on) I have yet to see a street/strip Procharged car run the number. My T-trimmed, non-intercooled cobra went [email protected] while winning the MM&FF shootout. /me wonders how fast it would have gone with a cooler??? Not that that is all that fast but I just thought I would throw that in, hehe. (And Jeff, no comments from you, LOL) BTW - the car is now sold.

See you at the Shootout

Ben Dorn

PS - Can I get in on some of the beer drinkin?

PSS - Love Aarons car!!!

:beer :beer

·
Registered
207 Posts
No more of this :argue :argue

Just lots of this For you Ben and the rest

:beer :beer

Jeff

·
Registered
77 Posts
02roush said:
I have an 02 Roush Auto Coupe GT. I'm going to be supercharging (or turbo?) it soon.

Who's SC gives you the most power for the money? Which is going to be the most efficient? Which isn't going to blow my motor up?

I use my car as a daily driver, and want functionality as much as HP.

And what do you think of turbos?
Well, I don't know how it compares efficiency wise to the ATI Procharger but for about $3800 you can get the Steeda Vortech(or Novi 2000) Kit(from modulafordpowerhouse.com) and enjoy about 350+ safe horsepower.

The advantages:
-ECU flash using ford transfer program means you don't have to spend $500 - 600 on a tune that could still blow up your car.
-It's been on at least 10 to 20 cars over on Stangnet with no issues(besides installation mistakes)
-No drivability issues.

The disadvantages:
-No Intercooler.

Turbo's - nice but a nightmare due to heat and routing of the pipes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Re: Bang-for-buck, what SC do you recommend?

SmithAtlanta said:
Well, I don't know how it compares efficiency wise to the ATI Procharger but for about $3800 you can get the Steeda Vortech(or Novi 2000) Kit(from modulafordpowerhouse.com) and enjoy about 350+ safe horsepower.

The advantages:
-ECU flash using ford transfer program means you don't have to spend $500 - 600 on a tune that could still blow up your car.
-It's been on at least 10 to 20 cars over on Stangnet with no issues(besides installation mistakes)
-No drivability issues.

The disadvantages:
-No Intercooler.

Turbo's - nice but a nightmare due to heat and routing of the pipes.
Another vote for the steeda tune with a vortech or paxton!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts