Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm interested in a good N/A setup but I'm not sure which mods to go with. I keep reading about all these people buying throttle spacers and other bs mods that don't impove anything, so out of the list of mods below, which ones should I get rid of? I'm on a tight budget as well (4-5k including install), so I guess I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

bullit manifold
70 or 75mm oval bore tb
cams
steeda pullies
P&Ped heads
o/r x-pipe
cat back
shorty headers or mid lenght depending on california law
c.a.i.

I have read that the tb will rob power, but my question is will it rob power even with all the other mods I'm hoping for?

All help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gears
Cams
Ported heads
Pullies
Subframes

Thats all you need (and can afford) for a decent N/A car.

Joe

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gears - about $500
Cams - about $600
P&Ped heads - depends
Pullies - $170
Subframe - $110

Lets assume that some how installation for that is 2k. Which means I should spend $2619 on P&P?

·
Registered
180 Posts
No, but a Bullitt intake will run $1100 for everything, unported. Add porting, and you can swallow another $500 dollars. Add install for that, and you can chaulk up another 4-5 hours labor charge. Cam install alone, if you shop out the work, will be $750.

You asked for opinions, I gave you a straightforward answer. I have been there, done it, and dumped it long before alot of people. Take whatever advice you want.

Joe

·
Registered
492 Posts
Sounds like your on a tight budget. I would start with things PROVEN to give you a noticeable difference. Gears($175-200) being the first, and underdrive pulleys($170) being second. Gear install is about $4-500. Add it all up for less than $1k. IMO this is the best place to start.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Raven, sorry if I showed disrespect... I didn't mean it that way. It just didn't really make sense to me.

stanggt00, the reason why I wanted to do it all at once is because maybe the install prices would be less.

What I'll do is buy some pullies and install those myself. Next I'll P&P the heads and put some cams in. How much should I spend on P&Ping?

And yes, my budget is tight... but the 4-5k is only for the engine. I got some more cash for everything else :) I did the math and kinda designated certain amounts of money to certain parts of the car (including gears).

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
492 Posts
Total I am spending for the whole job is close to 4K. Thats for the cams, P&P with valve job, M/A, injectors, labor and dyno tune. If your going to stay N/A, port your upper plenum, do the mass air, P&P, cams, catback system, catted X pipe, an FMS or Autologic chip, pulleys and the gears. Basically, the things that are going to make a difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice I'll talk to my local shop and make sure the install is reasonable.

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, he can. There are very mild cams that will pass even Cali's sniffer. I passed Illinois emissions testing with the 217/219/550/112 cams.

Joe

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would buying mild cams to pass emisions really be worth spending 1300? or should I spend it else where?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what gears should I go with? I do a decent amount of freeway driving so It'd be nice not to have to coast at 80 at 3000rpm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well what gears should I go with then? I guess I could deal with those rpms, but what would you recomend?

I'm not going to get a blower until I can afford a shortblock and a tranny.

But thanks for the input.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't afford a shortblock, T76 turbo, AND a tranny.

I'm not going to get a blower until I can afford a shortblock and a tranny.
By that I didn't mean that I was going to get a blower over a turbo. I was just trying to get the point across that I didn't have the budget.

Come on Kaz you know me.. If I had the cash my car would be in Brad's shop getting that T76 installed with a T-56 and a forged shortblock :)

I wish I had money :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

good stuff man, I'll keep that in mind.

but back to my 2 questionts:

Would a pair of mild cams be worth the money?
What gears should I go with? I read somewhere that 4.10's would put me at 2900rpm @ 80 which is totally fine with me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
What do you think of this list:

Steeda U/D pullies and timing adjustment
85mm MAF
4.10 gears
spintech cat back w/ o/r catted x-pipe
Autologic chip
Pro 5.0 shifter

I've heard good things about all of those. What do you guys think? I do have one concern with the U/D pullies... I have 2 10" subs w/ 500w max power output... will I run into power problems?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Stick or Auto? Thats gonna make the difference. I am running an 800W amp with underdrives, and no problems, but mine is a stick. An auto you might have problems with.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts