Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys have the problem of the battery light on your instrument panal come on at high RPM's when your at WOT? My mod are 2.8 pulley with chip, UPR CAI, Bassani X pipe with cats, Accufab TB/Inlet, 160stat, Billet Flow Idler. I just installed a new Gates belt, the belt went on tight as a mother. So does anyone have an idea what can be wrong with my car. Any INFO will be greatly appreciated. One other thing the car doesn't seem to be losing boost ( or belt slipping).

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Just a guess, but it sounds like your alternator is not making enough power and therefore using battery power. Does the car start fine or does the battery seem like it is close to dead? When this was happening was it just one high RPM blast and you were driving around for 15+ minutes or were you doing back to back high RPM blasts? You might want to have your alternator output checked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
...and check for loose connections, or a bad ground connection somewhere.

Good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Toofast4U- The car starts fine and the battery seems to be good. The light is on threw out a full run at WOT. It doesn't turn on when you don't go past 4000rpm. I will put the car on the lift and check for loose connections or a bad ground somewhere. And have my alternator checked may be going bad. Thanks for the replys guy hope to resolve this problem before heading back to the track.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Re: ALTERNATOR

RESTOMAN said:
POSSIBLY SPINNING IT TOO FAST???

METCO HAS A LARGER ALTERNATOR PULLEY OR I HAVE THEM IN STOCK.

JOE
He didn't say he had a lower pulley so would that really be an issue? How hard are the alternator pulleys to change? Are they press fit or just held on with a bolt? I was going to get the lower pulley and was wondering about that thanks.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Yea, no lower, so that's not his problem.

The alternator pulley is easily removed if you pull the alternator. Any parts store will swap the pulley for you.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just a thought. Are you sure that you have the new belt completely seated on the alternator pulley? It's easy to have it hanging off of the end by a rib or 2. That might explain the really tight fit, also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's most likely a wire from your alternator that rubs on the block when the engine is reved. I replaced and rerouted the wire and the problem was solved. Check this.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts