Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've just finished replacing my main & connecting rod bearings. My next step was going to be to fill with oil and start it up (after much praying to the modular god); however, I've been thinking that maybe I should yank the oil cooler and have a look at it before wasting 7 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that bearing failure can also take out the oil cooler and possibly the pump as well. Anybody here know anything about that?

:thanks:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
bearing failure can take out not only the oil cooler but the heads/cams as well.. what happens is when the bearings go, the grinded up metal is picked up by the oil pump and can fill up the oil cooler, its kinda built like a filter, and the metal can scar up the cams or the lack of oil pressure can burn the cam journals...same for the oil pump... any major bearing failure would require complete tear down, all oil galley scrubbed down and everything oil related checked or replaced..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Replace that oil cooler before you start that motor. You cannot clean all the metal out of the oil cooler after a bearing failure

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do....and thank you very much.

·
Moving on up...
4,776 Posts
I hope that you're not going to run a full synthetic oil during a new motor break in...that would be bad.

·
Registered
572 Posts
that is a much debated subject, most high performance cars come prefilled from the factory with full synthetic, corvettes, vipers, cobalt ss, and im sure there are many more. me personally i would not waste synthetic on a startup due to the price issue and that after running that engine for sevaral hours you would want to change the fluid and filter. but to each his own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughters cobra had a piece of the piston to break off. Unknown how! But after complete rebuild, the engine cranks, runs, and sounds great. Prollum is after it runs for about 5 minutes the oil pressure starts to gradually fall almost to zero. Bout 4 or 5 lbs. Can the oil cooler cause this? Does it have a by-pass or check valve in it that could be stuck open and cause pressure to fall? Need help BADLY!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts