Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the blower off the car yesterday to start getting an idea of the difference between the two. Now I know some of you guys want dyno numbers and that is it but for the some who would like to see the phyical differences here are a few pic's.

I did this for ref to make the new TB cable since I am going to be running the single blade TB plus you can see how tight it is going to be to get the TPS harness on with the adapter plate.

·
L&M build in progress!
1,461 Posts
I dont get it. Why run the big intake with a small t-body?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I dont get it. Why run the big intake with a small t-body?
Because every bit of data I have ever seen (Kenne Bell Site, Accufab Site, RPM Outlet, Laws Phyics calculations) shows that the Single Blade Throttle Body flows more than enough for 26-28psi on the Kenne Bell.

Do they make a tb that will fit it without the reducer?
Yes. We are running the reduce in case Kenne Bell proves all the data on their website and accufabs and billetflow, and laws of physics to be wrong. Then we can upgrade.

There are two versions. One for the twin 75mm and one for the single blade. You can buy the Dual 75mm one and just add the reducer so you can run either.

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
Looks cool!

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly what godstang said!

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
I understand all the info but why does KB have a bigger T/B on the Mammoth version of the 2.8? What are the Mammoth's rated for boost? Or Blower RPM would be a better measurement correct? Since boost can vary from car to car?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Because people think oh its bigger must be better and must be needed so the parts sell so the deals sell them. Accordding to KB website and according to the mathmatical equations the KB flows around 1560 CFMs at full boost which is 26psi. According to all the websites the Single Blade TB flows over 1600 cfms.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct me if I am wrong but the intake is going to flow as much as the smallest area of the intake right? If you look at the intake then the TB, where it necks down the single blade TB is larger than that.

·
4.6 ways to waste money
1,940 Posts
It just seems werid that KB would have data that says the single blade T/B is more than enough, then to sell the mammoth kit with a huge T/B...whats the point?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
It just seems werid that KB would have data that says the single blade T/B is more than enough, then to sell the mammoth kit with a huge T/B...whats the point?
Bingo. Who besides me and a few others really pay attention to what there blower flows at what RPM? People think hey if I am getting a bigger inlet I must need a bigger everything. Also there are people that run more than the 26psi that the Kenne Bell is rated at. They may need a bigger throttle body.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My GT's getting the twin 75mm. So far, time will tell, but I figure it couldn't hurt. My KB 2.6H would only make 20 PSI max so I'll try to spin the shit out of the 2.8H once it gets installed.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
My GT's getting the twin 75mm. So far, time will tell, but I figure it couldn't hurt. My KB 2.6H would only make 20 PSI max so I'll try to spin the shit out of the 2.8H once it gets installed.
Well it can. Many times we have seen larger TB allowing too much air in and not allowing the car to idle well and making tuning a bitch. NOT SAYING THE TWIN 75MM WILL. I am just saying you can run into that problems with a throttle body too big.

I have zero problems with my Billetflow and it is more than adequate so why chance it for the extra $600 I am not a baller like you Gary. HAHAHA

·
Registered
306 Posts
well it's a good thing I'm not tuning my car lol

PS: I'm not a baller either. I'm just not married ;)

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Just because a particular piece of equipment is rated at a certain CFM doesn't mean that a large unit won't result in improvement. Larger openings typically result in less pressure drop. Of course you factor in losses and flow effects resulting from changes in direction, enlarged/narrowed areas, entrances/exits, etc. This is one reason the plenum likely needs to be larger than the TB. Still, the dual 75mm unit will have less pressure drop than the typical Accufab/KB/Billetflow single blade throttle body and positive displacement blowers are extremely sensative to upstream pressure loss. The question is whether or not the decrease in DP is enough (%) to be beneficial/noticeable. Does anyone know what the rated DP associated with the rated max flowrate for these throttle bodies? How about the same info at the same flowrate for the dual 75mm?

In terms of general flow through piping, which isn't a direct comparison to an entry opening such as a throttle body, the jump from an 85-95mm single blade to 75mm twin cuts pressure drop at 1600cfm nearly in half. Again, these numbers are very rough. However, it gives you indication on the dramatic change on pressure drop. This is for uncompressed "free" air (i.e. draw-thru).

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just because a particular piece of equipment is rated at a certain CFM doesn't mean that a large unit won't result in improvement. Larger openings typically result in less pressure drop. Of course you factor in losses and flow effects resulting from changes in direction, enlarged/narrowed areas, entrances/exits, etc. This is one reason the plenum likely needs to be larger than the TB. Still, the dual 75mm unit will have less pressure drop than the typical Accufab/KB/Billetflow single blade throttle body and positive displacement blowers are extremely sensative to upstream pressure loss. The question is whether or not the decrease in DP is enough (%) to be beneficial/noticeable. Does anyone know what the rated DP associated with the rated max flowrate for these throttle bodies? How about the same info at the same flowrate for the dual 75mm?

In terms of general flow through piping, which isn't a direct comparison to an entry opening such as a throttle body, the jump from an 85-95mm single blade to 75mm twin cuts pressure drop at 1600cfm nearly in half. Again, these numbers are very rough. However, it gives you indication on the dramatic change on pressure drop. This is for uncompressed "free" air (i.e. draw-thru).
This is spot on. I would like to second the two questions.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
This can not even be compared to what we are talking about here. You are comparing something that IS A KNOWN RESTRICTION to something that is not. The 85-95mm single blade flows ~1400cfm on the high side down to what the 85mm flows. You are using this to supply the blower that needs ~1560cfm at max rated RPMS which is not enough and therefor a huge restriction. Where I am comparing something that flows near 1700cfms supplying the same blower ~1560cfms. Both of these compared to the Twin 75mm that flows in the 1800cfms. You are comparing 400+cfm of a known restriction to something that is not a restriction and is only ~150cfm.

The whole point in what I am saying is the DP is not enough, has been shown by a few dynos, to be noticeable/benefical to the tune of almost $800 for the twin 75mm. The gains from what I have seen in the past is less that 10rwhp. Now I am sure there is someone some where...there always is... that has a buddy that knows a guy that slept with this girl who dated a guy whos brother did the swap with just the throttle body and gained 150rwhp.

On a side note I cut the $150 added to $10. Got the TPS extension, IAC sensor, and trottle cable all for $10.

·
GearBanger Extraordinaire
1,006 Posts
y does your 2.6 max out at 20#'s?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts