Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a TKO V.1 from X2Cmotorsports next week and I need a bellhousing. Anyone know the cheapest place to get one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to reem (sp?) out the holes for the starter. I think a couple other holes had to be expanded. But nothing a dremel and an hour didnt do.
thanks

Dave

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahh, ok.. that is no big deal.. thanks for the info.

Now is there anywhere to get one cheaper than $320?

·
Registered
630 Posts
For some reason, Lakewood bellhousings are not perfect like the aluminum stock bellhousing is from the factory. You need to have the Lakewood bellhousing lined up (dial calibrated) because it could be off a bit. If it's off just a little, it will wear the bearings out in your TKO quick.

A good while back, I was quoted I think around $250-$350 to have that done. Trans was already in the car, so that was taking it apart, lining up the bellhousing, and reinstalling everything. - John

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought that also when I put mine on. But I just made enough room for it to fit when I installed it. At the time I didnt know how to accurately measure the dial in, so I just installed it. Usually if its off, then the tranny with vibrate on you. But I never measured it and its been fine for 2 years. But its a good idea to check it

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just did the install on the cobra and it was defintitely a pain! Had to install and reinstall several times to get the indexing of the BH down. Another downside is that the steel BH reverberates into the cabin, unlike the aluminum which soaks up a lot of that. If I could do it over, I would go with the aluminum housing.

ALSO, 96 cobra is the only year that requires you to use a driveshaft spacer. That eliminated 90% of my vibration, that and a little TLC when installin the tranny. Good luck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info, I guess I should have mentioned this was for the 99... Doesn't matter now.. Funds have fallen through... :(

Now the waiting begins to see when I will have the money to do anything to the car.:mad:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I never could figure out the whole indexing the bellhousing thing. I just bolted my up and went with it:confused: Seems to work fine though:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wasnt too worried bout the indexing either. Lakewood told me it's not necesary on a street car. I am going to look inton the driveshaft spacer though. I thought that it need a longer yolk or something.

Steve

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go ahead and get the Lakewood scatter shield. The aluminum bell is quieter but it will not save your feet in the event of a clutch explosion. Just call Don Garlits and ask him how good a half a foot is. He is a personal friend of mine. Just tell him BARUNO said to call

:D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
theinjectedzone said:
Bummer deal. Good luck when you do throw on some go fast goodies.

Dave
Well, I have a deal worked out for this weekend to swap my IRS and Cobra brakes for a live axle w/ 3.73's :)vomit: ) and GT front brakes. He is getting my stock springs and I am getting his Eibach's and he is giving me a chunk of change too.. I will sell the Eibach's and get drag springs, then hopefully as soon as I sell the two sets of wheels I have, I will be getting Rodlites for the Cobra.:D .... oh, and ditching the 3.73's for either 4.30's or 4.56's:p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts