Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 cobra i put a vortech v-1 system on about 3 weeks ago. My problem is that the belt jumps 1 groove (toward the motor) every so often only on the supercharger pulley. I went about 450 miles and it jumped, put it back on and went another 400 or so miles of daily driving including under boost, and today it is off a groove again. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? any input would be helpfull. I have double checked everything i can think of and everything looks to be lined up properly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mustangr said:
I have a 98 cobra i put a vortech v-1 system on about 3 weeks ago. My problem is that the belt jumps 1 groove (toward the motor) every so often only on the supercharger pulley. I went about 450 miles and it jumped, put it back on and went another 400 or so miles of daily driving including under boost, and today it is off a groove again. Anyone else ever have a problem like this? any input would be helpfull. I have double checked everything i can think of and everything looks to be lined up properly.
Did you ever find out what it was? I am having the same problem on an 02 GT with a V2. I think the idler pully on the mounting bracket may be going bad causing the belto to come off. Don't know why it would be bad because the kit is only a year old. If anyone else has any ideas , please chime in :D

·
Registered
8,894 Posts
NoPony said:
Did you ever find out what it was? I am having the same problem on an 02 GT with a V2. I think the idler pully on the mounting bracket may be going bad causing the belto to come off. Don't know why it would be bad because the kit is only a year old. If anyone else has any ideas , please chime in :D
Hey guys, I had this problem also. My belt would come totally off of the pulleys either between the 1-2 or 2-3 shifts. For me it turned out to be a bad tensioner. The tensioner was brand new and had been replaced when the belt was, but the belts would only last a few hundred miles. The tensioner turned out to be bought from an Auto Parts store instead of FoMoCo. Once a tensioner from Ford was put on I have not had problems since. Maybe this will shine some light on an area that may need to be checked? Maybe you guys' tensioners are getting old and weak. They could be to the point that u might not notice it on a stock motor but the supercharger is bringing it to attention. Good Luck! Keep me posted! :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
NoPony said:
If it is moving.The pulley alignment needs to be checked.

Even if the blower bracket is .010 off you will have belt issues.

Recheck the install vs the instructions and make sure every spacer and washer is in its proper place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts