Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few days I've noticed a "dead" spot in the steering that shows up every once in a while.

It happens almost exclusively off idle and when I'm trying to make a turn.

Basically, I come off the clutch and make a turn, then in the middle of the turn the steering becomes almost impossibly heavy for a split second.

I'm thinking belt slip, but I can't say for sure.

I've got an extra idler lying around (90MM, IIRC). Can I simply swap the smaller Saleen pulley on the alternator bracket, or will it rub/hit something?

Here's an old picture from the middle of the Saleen blower install. The idler with the arrow pointing to it already has a 90mm idler (I think.) Can I put one in the empty hold above?

I've already got a 1000 mile new upgraded tensioner (from BBR) and a V10 water pump pulley. (Not in the picture above, but I'll pull the air box assembly and take better pics later.)

Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
what kind of headers are you running----on the 06 GT , ford shorty headers will bind on the steering shaft at idle and in right turns--- weak motor mounts and modified headers might put you on the steering shaft--- do not know what clearances you get with various headers

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll walk out to double check in a second, but I'm pretty sure it's just the stock manifolds. (Unless the previous owner changed them, which I doubt.)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, 59 views and only one response?

You guys are slippin'. :D

·
Im Not Banned...yet
5,362 Posts
thats because you blocked people lol

your tune's idle control is not set right and it allows the idle to dip too low, especially when the power stering pump is being used . fix your tune

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah?

I'll PM [email protected] and see what he says.

It's never done this before, and the tune was loaded at least 3 weeks ago. In fact, this didn't start until the new clutch went in. I can't see how they'd be related, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts