Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

Best Bang for buck GEN II?

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Ghostrider 
#1 ·
Hey folks.

I'm kinda a newbie here, but not new to the Ford community; I am a part of LISVTOA- "Long Island's own SVT club." I own a 94 Cobra which is for sale and I recently bought a mint 99 Lightning with 5500 miles on it. :D

Which leads me to my question...

What are the best bang for the buck mods for the GEN II Lightning?

Thanks.

Mike Gnolfo
Editor, www.lisvtoa.com

#2 ·
Chip, Lower Pulley, Filter, plugs... approx $500 total, pick up about 35-40rwhp, 60 rw ft lbs. Being a 99, you might as well pick up a 01+ intake boot and MAF (and get your filter kit accordingly for an 01+)

Thats the starting point.

#10 ·
If I had it to do over again, the FTVB would be first. It adds so much to the fun of driving the truck. Gains zero HP, but definately ups the fun factor. Then, as the guys said, chippenfilter, 3-4 # lower pulley, traction bars... I went with the long "lifter" style bars. But that will tap against your exhaust on the right side if you lower your truck...

Welcome to the brotherhood, and enjoy the L!

#11 ·
You can comb the classified on most of the Lightning boards and pickup these parts for dirt cheap. People are dumping these trucks daily and selling their mods for next to nothing.

My first mod was the catback as they used my truck to R&D off of. Then i got a chip.

After that, i went with the FTVB. I noticed mine shifts much harder then some of the other guys in my club who have one. its a 2C model.

I would do the Valve Body, 4# lower, a CAI kit like the PSP and decide which chip you want or go with a reflashed pcm if you dont want to rape your J3 port and get the warranty nazi's on you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.