Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rumor has it that the spec stage 3 is like a on off switch. i want something super strong so i dont have to do it again any time soon though.. i dont mind a stiff clutch but i dont want my passengers to think i cant drive by the herky jerky grabation

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Some guys are useing Spec 2 and Spec 3 in combination.
Joe at Mustang Magic has a complete Spec 2 and it works well..

jim v.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shoot...Pete was using the OEM original stock clutch in his car all this time....so I would think you could stay with what you have for awhile.

When you start going with the spec three clutch things do grab better, yes, but things also start to break easier then too.

Yes you will need another clutch no matter what you put in...and especially if you start running slicks and some beefier axles/halfshafts of course.

All I am saying is that the stock clutch can take alot of punishment as long as the punishment is kept within means.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
No stock clutch is going to stand up to the kind of power that Pete is making...probably not for even 3 passes.

From what I understand, these "Spec 3" clutches have little to no slip. Street cars need clutch slip for drivability. Also, try short-timing with 500 rwhp and no clutch slip. Good luck with that!

This will be a dillema for us all that start making above 500 rwhp.

I am really not sure what spec 2 and spec 3 actually mean...I don't think the terms are technical I think they are marketing names from some vendor. Does "Spec 2" actually mean anything?

But I know what dual-friction and race clutches are. A dual-friction clutch is good for the street and definately stronger than our stock clutches.

It's either regular clutch replacements or automatic conversion...

My notch has a lentech. GREAT street/strip automatic!!

But the 03 is going to keep it's T-56...so long as it holds up.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hammer spec is a brand and they have different levels of clutch.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Actually I just found this and it discribes and showes the different levels. I tried to make this in one post, but it complained because it had to many images so I will make several posts.

Stage 1 - Organic Disc STAGE 1 - Street & Strip. This kit features high clamp pressure plate with a steel backed woven organic sprung disc. The organic disc offers smooth engagement, quiet operation with light pedal feel. This is excellent for daily driving and occasional racing. All clutch kits include release bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool (if applicable). *Note: Cars with dual mass flywheel will come with unsprung disc.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

Stage 2 - Kevlar Disc STAGE 2 - Street & Strip. This kit features high clamp pressure plate with a segmented chatter free Kevlar sprung disc. The Kevlar disc offers smooth engagement, quiet operation with light pedal feel and increased torque capacity over Stage 1. This is excellent for daily driving and occasional racing. All clutch kits include release bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool (if applicable). *Note: Cars with dual mass flywheel will come with unsprung disc.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

Stage 3
4 Pad Carbon Sprung Disc STAGE 3 - Ultimate Street & Strip Clutch!! This kit features high clamp pressure plate with a 4 pad carbon sprung hub disc. The disc is a 3-piece design sprung hub to deliver sharp aggressive but yet smooth engagement. Quiet operation with increased torque capacity over Stage 2. The carbon material is highly durable and heat resistant. This kit is excellent for daily driving and racing especially for cars with higher output engines. All clutch kits include release bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool (if applicable). *Note: Cars with dual mass flywheel will come with unsprung disc.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

Stage 4
3 or 6 Pad Copper Ceramic Disc STAGE 4 - Serious Road Racing & Drag Racing Clutch!! This kit features high clamp pressure plate with your choice of a 3 pad or 6 pad copper ceramic disc. The disc is a 2-piece rigid design to deliver sharp aggressive engagement. This style of engagement is ideal for racing where quicker shifts are required to beat the competition. The disc is also lightweight for better performance since the disc is unsprung. This kit is excellent for race cars with higher output engines. Torque capacity is the same between the 3 & 6 pad. The 3 pad will give you quicker shifting. All clutch kits include release bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool (if applicable).

·
Registered
2,357 Posts

Stage 5 - Iron Disc STAGE 5 - Drag Racing Only!! This kit features high clamp pressure plate with an iron disc. The disc delivers extremely sharp, aggressive engagement. Ideal for drag race cars ONLY (never street driven) where the highest torque capacity is required. The disc is also lightweight for better performance since the disc is unsprung. All clutch kits include release bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool (if applicable).

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Here is something else I found.

Stage 1 Clutch Kits:Steel-backed woven organic disc w/ a 400 rear wheel hp capacity. Smooth chatter-free engagement with factory pedal.
Stage 2 Clutch Kits:Segmented chatter-free Kevlar disc w/ a 475 rear wheel hp capacity. Smooth engagement with a factory, to slightly stiffer pedal.
Stage 3 Clutch Kits:3-Piece disc with a carbon or ceramic material. Sharp but smooth engagement, light pedal, and a 650 rear wheel torque capacity.
Stage 4 Clutch Kits:2-Piece rigid disc. Available in 3 or 6 wing design for serious road racing or drag racing, and a 680 rear wheel torque capacity.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Do they give any actual torque ratings? How would anyone know which clutch is right for their level of power?

Will the spec 2 hold up to 600 FWTQ? How about Spec 3 and Spec 4? How much torque do they support?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Looks like the spec 3 is the ticket. My experience is, as a rule of thumb, always get much more power rating than is stated...than you need to ensure strength and longevity.

So the Spec 3 is the ticket for where I want to be. Only thing I am worried about is their description:

"Sharp but smooth engagement"

That's an oxymoron. Is it sharp or smooth engagement? It can't be both at the same time! It either slips or it doesn't.

:rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RAYMER has the spec 3 and says its real grabby, i think he ran a 7.10 on it though at like 99 mph in the 1/8th. he said it was def. a man clutch

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I assume by man clutch that Raymer means stiff petal.

You hear that, Linn? It's a man clutch. You can't have one for your new 03!!

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Once the HP levels get too big, isn't it time for the dual disc setup? Around $750 for the T56 Street Twin setup. You get new flywheel with it at that cost though..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thats really not alot more than the spec setup with a lightweight flywheel. ive heard however that the duals are a basterd to set up. any truth to that? is there a link to them anywhere?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
You guys apparently know alot more about this beefy clutch stuff than I do.

I will be needing one of these things VERY soon so someone let me know which is the right one to get.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts