Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a front coil over setup and wanted some feedback on what work and what doesn't. Right now I'm looking at the QA1 Aluminum front struts H-2003 with the QA1 springs. I was looking at the Strange setup, but have read alot of complaints about them. Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
just wanted to subscribe to this sorry i cudnt help . . what kind of complaints did you hear about Strange because I heard they make some real good set-ups? you might also want to put your set-up now and what you would like to be able to do with your car .. ex. DD, track, road race?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have stock right now building a mostly strip car that I will drive on the street rarely to a show or a street race he he he. Looking for a drag setup. I heard that the Strange are poor qualiy - leaking oil seals ,and extremely harsh and noisey - sounds like the front end is falling out when hitting bumps. Heard guy's selling them with only 100 - 200 miles on them, going to a different setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry, I can't help, I also just wanted to subscribe to the thread. I have alot of the same questions. Dont you need to get a tubular K-member and A-arms with some kits too?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had QA1 struts .......first the drivers side started leaking oil ....replaced it , then the pass side developed a leak...replaced it. Then the drivers side went bad again so i switched to the stange struts ...so far so good (500 miles or so) and i really cant tell the diff in ride quality.

·
Registered
426 Posts
awesome man thanks for the input because i was on the border of which ones i shud buy between those two brands

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Sorry, I can't help, I also just wanted to subscribe to the thread. I have alot of the same questions. Dont you need to get a tubular K-member and A-arms with some kits too?
NO you dont need a tubular K-member and tubular A-arms to run coil overs... I have the Eibach coilovers on my car with stock A-arms and K-member.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Looking to buy a front coil over setup and wanted some feedback on what work and what doesn't. Right now I'm looking at the QA1 Aluminum front struts H-2003 with the QA1 springs. I was looking at the Strange setup, but have read alot of complaints about them. Any info will be helpful. Thanks.
QA1 is pretty good. I know a few racers using QA1, along with the Strange Adjustables...

Another way is using the Lakewood 90/10 or 70/30, with any brand coil-over sleeve setups like UPR...
If you want adjustability, there are also brands like Tokico, Koni with adjustable shocks and struts...

If you can and have the chanve, go check out the drag strip and check out what other guys are using and how they like them..

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
subscribing as well.

Magic, you got links on where and what to specifically buy? im thinking about going coilover in the front but undecided.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm interested in a coil over setup also, but NOT for drag racing, My use would be 90 % daily driver and I like to take it hard into corners. I would be looking for more of a road race setup I think.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't know much, but what I do know:

Favorite coilovers for the drag strip are quite different from popular coilovers designed for autocross use. Lakewood and QA1 are really popular for the drag strip, and Maximum Motorsports and Griggs appear to be the most popular for autocrossing.

The stiffer springs of road racing don't allow the weight transfer that promotes traction in a high hp configuration.

There are less expensive front K members, which can help you save a lot of weight, but the cheaper ones have gathered a lot of bad press as can be found by searching this site.

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
i had Strange struts and coilovers with MM cc-plates and they rattled and clank over every bump, sounded bad, like the front end was gonna fall off! I still have the Strange coilovers, but with Lakewood struts instead. Something about Strange struts with coilovers mated with MM cc-plates, that they make the racket, but with other plates they dont:dunno2:With the same coilover but with the LW's, i have zero noise.

·
Registered
426 Posts
did you try the strange struts and coilovers with anyother c/c plates? is so which ones and how was the ride different than with the MM? Also i couldnt really get a complete conclusion on which ones you liked best haha was it the strange or lakewood?

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
did you try the strange struts and coilovers with anyother c/c plates? is so which ones and how was the ride different than with the MM? Also i couldnt really get a complete conclusion on which ones you liked best haha was it the strange or lakewood?
No, not on my car. Of course i like the quieter set up, the Lakewood struts.

·
Registered
426 Posts
how were the Strange coilovers with the other c/c plates?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts