Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t seen any comparisons of the different exhaust systems for a new Cobra. I hear a lot about the Bassani system with cats. Are there any challengers out there? How about their mid-length headers, how much power increase is there over stock headers (if you go with the Bassani cat pipe back)? I’m going to yank the stock exhaust but not sure if I should mess with the headers or not. I’d love to see some before and after charts. Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
In my view it is Bassani :cool: by far... fitment, quality of construction and performance are outstanding.... I have the cat'd x pipe and cat back system... they are expensive however... good luck on whatever system you choose...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Magnaflow......fit excellent.......bolted right up....high quality....stainless steel.....mandrel bent....

and it didn't cost and arm and a leg like the Bassani.......just of $700 for the system

Comparing my Bassani off my Lightning and the Magnaflow on my Cobra.......I'd say the Bassani has a deeper tone, more of a Roar.........the Magnaflow has more of a Howl......

Magnaflow Catted X-Pipe & Magnaflow Cat Back

Installation Pic

edit...........but I do want Bassani's new Mid-Lenght Headers...that will require some solution though to mount them to the X pipe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just as it was stated above, I would go with the Magnaflow. See my dyno numbers in my sig. if you need more convincing.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought my MagnaFlow Catbacks with the stock H-pipe was the poifect sound, but heard the MFlow with an x-pipe. It might be better. IMHO, the Bassani sounds too much like my boat. However a Bassini Cobra and I took a freeway rocket ride together and the blended sounds had people looking up for the jet planes.
JW

·
Registered
277 Posts
x pipe = boat inboard/outboard sound. I hated mine. H pipe all the way.

·
Registered
277 Posts
JMO. Sorry I didn't like mine. I will always like the H.

G

·
brad65 said:
JMO. Sorry I didn't like mine. I will always like the H.
Even when I had my 93 coupe with the prototype 96 Cobra drivetrain...that car sounded like you say...a boat at idle. Blub Blub Blub.....I had stock exhaust manifolds and an H pipe with Flowmasters (that was back in 1995) Just for some reason these DOHC motors sound like that. But I do have to say..my setup doesnt...really. Might be the headers and Bassani might have the mufflers setup to sound different now.

but I do understand what you are saying buddy.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
277 Posts
H.R.

Check your PM

·
Registered
237 Posts
Harry,
Correctomundo. Your sound clip does not sound like my boat. When you rev it a bit it sounds pretty PO'd in the good way.
JW

·
Registered
6 Posts
you asked" what is the best "?
well that depends on your requirements from the systems.
Borla, Bassani and Magnaflow are all top quality material, fantastic
craftsmanship and beautiful finish. The hp gains will be very comparable, with Bassani most likely on top( their system and mufflers are the only ones of the three that specialy designed an 03 Cobra system). However the Bassani has the capability to be the loadest of these as well( adjustable). if i had to list them in order as far as quality, fit and finish it would look like this...
1. Borla : the best fitting system i have ever worked with.
2. Bassani : #2 only because someone must be second.
3. Magnaflow : a little tweeking or strong arming is usually needed to install system.
now the fun part:
Borla : most quite of them
Magnaflow: very awesome sounding, especially at higher rpms
Bassani: Total [email protected]## MONSTER SOUND!!!!! or blissfully controlled.
cost...Bassani is very proud of their systems...expensive
Borla....upper level cost factors also
Magnaflow.... can be had for really good price compared to the others, however they are 3rd
there is a stainless steel "engine back" 3 inch system available....
and a few more systems as well....that should be considered somewhat....:cool:

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
anyone use the pauls high performance catback?? supposedly on 03 cobras its good for 18 ft lbs and 17 horses......kinda wondering how it sounds tho..but for only 469..prob the cheapest 3 in with straight throughs i have found

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sound and looks aside. just based on performance i've heard that MAC has the best catback. since it is only coated and not aluminized or stainless steel svt owners seem to avoid that one. performance is paramount to me, sound is second

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am interested in the Magnaflow exhaust system
due to hearing about its performance and its price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know that this has been hashed over, but I gota get opinions. My local muff guy says that he will weld 2 chamber delta flows on my stock pipes and I will get a good gain. He will charge me 240 bucks to do it. For the price diff. is this the best way to go or should I fork the bucks for a whole catback system. How much power diff will I see between the two choices. He told me that the stock muffs are only 2" and the flows will open the stock pipes to the full 2 1\4 factory pipe size. What do you think?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mot said:
I know that this has been hashed over, but I gota get opinions. My local muff guy says that he will weld 2 chamber delta flows on my stock pipes and I will get a good gain. He will charge me 240 bucks to do it. For the price diff. is this the best way to go or should I fork the bucks for a whole catback system. How much power diff will I see between the two choices. He told me that the stock muffs are only 2" and the flows will open the stock pipes to the full 2 1\4 factory pipe size. What do you think?
read what this guy did for even less $$$. hope it helps.

http://www.alfageek.com/cobra.htm

·
Registered
57 Posts
best exhaust

On our dyno nothing has ever beat Mac for power, we have tested bassani, Borla, Magna flow and Flow master, Mac always wins. Joe

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Harry,

Didn't you have the Bassani headers?? You now have Pete's "special" headers, right? Which are on the car with that sound clip?? Just curious! :D

Thanks,
Tj

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: best exhaust

magic maker said:
On our dyno nothing has ever beat Mac for power, we have tested bassani, Borla, Magna flow and Flow master, Mac always wins. Joe
Joe- you don't have to convince me. I was just passing on some info for this guy. I'll be getting the MAC cat back from you once I have the cash!! I gotta see that KB Cobra of yours run.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts