Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am newbie to the site and I had a couple of questions in regards to the best intake manifold option for my 2003 Mach 1. So to start out here is a list of the modifications that the car has on it right now:

1.) K & N CAI
2.) SLP LM1 Cat-back
3.) SCT SF3/X3 Tuner
4.) PHP Intake Spacer

Here is what I plan on adding over the next few months:

1.) Moser 31 Spline Axles
2.) Ford Racing 31 Spline Limited Slip Differential
3.) 4.10 Gears (already purchased but I'm waiting until I purchase the rest of the rear end components)
4.) Kooks Long Tubes (1 5/8" Primaries with 2 1/2" Collectors)
5.) Kooks Catted X-Pipe
6.) Accufab Twin 60mm Throttle Body
7.) 39# Injectors
8.) Cobra Focus Fuel Pump
9.) Comp 106100 Cams w/ Adjustable Cam Gear

My question is what is the best intake manifold option to accompany these modifications? I've seen a lot of people go with either a ported short runner intake or just port their stock Mach 1 manifold. I was wondering what would be the best manifold to accompany the increased airflow the cams provide? I am shooting for the 350-400 rwhp range without going down the forced induction route. Any help is greatly appreciated and also if you have any recommendations of parts to add to the list please feel free to include this as well. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to get good power gains all the way up to about 6400 rpm. This car is my daily driver and won't see too much track time so I won't be taking it past 6400 rpms very often.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Should I have both the upper plenum and lower manifold ported or just the lower manifold? Also do the cams need to be degreed any differently than the Comp specs to get the maximum performance out of them? And if so what do you recommend?

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just to make sure those are LSA's for the intake/exhaust? And I know that I will be needing to get the car tuned after the cams are installed but if I have the intake ported and installed before the cams should I also have the car tuned then as well?

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
na svt,

first off I just wanted to thank you for all the advice you have given me thus far and I apologize for the slew of questions I keep asking but this is the first time I've worked on modifying a vehicle and I just want to make sure I cover all of my bases and do everything right the first time! So thanks again for your advice and patience.

I also wanted to know if you think I will be able to reach my goal of 350-400rwhp with the stock runner length ported Mach 1 manifold? I would really like to be closer to 375rwhp but 350rwhp is my minimum goal. With that being said if I wanted to get closer to 375rwhp would a ported short runner intake manifold be a better option? Also if I want to reach my goal of 375rwhp is there any other modifications other than what I have listed that I will need? Thanks again for all of your advice and patience as I can't say enough how much I greatly appreciate it.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would I still be able to make good mid range power up to 6400 rpms with the short runner? Also what would be the cost difference between a ported short runner and ported stock runner? I assume that the ported short runner will cost more but if I can still make solid power over the mid range rpms plus power beyond 6400 rpms then I might decide to go that route instead. Although this car is my daily driver and it won't see to much track time I wouldn't mind having the additional power in the upper rpms pending that the cost isn't to great.

In regards to the cams. I would definitely be interested in that! How much would you charge?

1,834 Posts
A 10" SR makes decent mid range, but provides little power gain at 6400. My ported intake are $650 and short runenrs are $900 (not worth the money for your combo).

I'm working on a different, for lack of a better word, "ported," intake design. Should have it tested within a month.

Custom cams are $1300

In regards to the cams. I would definitely be interested in that! How much would you charge?[/QUOTE]

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the $650 for a new ported manifold or do I supply the manifold and the $650 is for the labor? Same question in regards to the cams as well?

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sounds good. It will be a little ways down the road as I still have some other parts to buy but I will certainly be in touch with you when the time comes. What would be the best way to contact you? PM?

· Registered
1,343 Posts
Sounds good. I'll definitely be taking you up on both offers but I will need a little time to gather up the funds if that's ok? I'll have you do the ported stock runner for $650 here in the next couple of weeks and then do the cams a little later on when I can save up enough money if that works for you? What would be the best way to contact you? PM?
Get all of this stuff done before Nov 23.

I will be in Fletcher and Duncan from the 23-25. Wouldnt mind checkin it out.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
na svt,

On the ported stock runner manifold will I need to enlarge the runners? And if so how much? Oh and one other question in regards to the comp 106100's (if I go that route)...I really want to have a nasty idle and I was wondering if the specs you mentioned earlier (106/116) would give me a rough idle like I want? I've saw on another forum that has an almost identical set-up to what I am wanting and he had the cams degreed with the following specs...106 on the intake and 110 on the exhaust. His idle sounded really mean and he put down good power (368 rwhp and 341 wtq) and I was wondering if those specs would be better for my set-up or would I lose power degreeing them with those specs? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I definitely won't have it all done by then! I'm an engineer out in the oilfield so I'm out on location a lot, which that takes up a good portion of my time! I would say you could swing by and check out the car and all the stuff I have done on it now but I actually won't be in town then.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.