Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to L.I. Motorsports Park on Saturday with my 03 for the 1st time. The weather was okay, not too humid and about 80 degrees, not sure if any significant elevation. My 03 Cobra has 2,800 miles, MAC 2 ½ inch CB and Steeda CAI. The car had about ½ tank of fuel, and nothing removed from car, tires at normal operating pressure. This was my 1st time out with this car. I’ve attached the details of all six passes including the time of day.

My 1st three runs were mostly for feeling out the car right as I got there, granny shifting at 6 grand. For all the launches I was slipping the clutch out while holding the revs between 2-3 grand. I didn’t get any wheel hop probably because I didn’t ever flat out dump the clutch hard – that’s for next time out.

The next three runs were after the car sat for about 25 minutes. I power shifted 1-2 at about 6200-6300 (too close to tell) and granny shifted 2-3 and 3-4. My last run would have been the best ET but I hit the rev limiter at the top of 3rd gear and the car felt like it took a nosedive.

Best ET here:

60 ft 2.184
330 ft 5.799
1/8 ET 8.675
1/8 MPH 86.05
1000 ft 11.068

1/4 ET 13.166
1/4 MPH 109.43

Any comments on the car? I know my 60 ft times sucked.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
thats pretty good for the first time out, plus your car will get faster as you break in the engine. thats the same track im taking my cobra when i get it. you should come down to deer park avenue on fridays!

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
actually its been getting pretty good. about two weeks ago there was a yellow viper venom, a red viper, 4 camaros, 18 mustangs! including two new 03 cobras which actually one guy was kind enough to give me a ride in, a yellow vert, a silver cobra, two stage 2 roush mustangs.. and of course the imports. its in the sears parking lot across the street from mcdonalds. problem is, the cops sometimes tell everyone to leave but we just go to another parking lot usually cvs or the 7-11. fridays and saturdays im always there and it gets packed now since its summer. theres even a kid there that has a sonic blue saleen cobra. the things insane. stop by man, hopefully i will get my white 03 cobra soon and join the svtoa (long island).. later man!

·
Registered
185 Posts
arizona302 said:
Went to L.I. Motorsports Park on Saturday with my 03 for the 1st time. The weather was okay, not too humid and about 80 degrees, not sure if any significant elevation. My 03 Cobra has 2,800 miles, MAC 2 ½ inch CB and Steeda CAI. The car had about ½ tank of fuel, and nothing removed from car, tires at normal operating pressure. This was my 1st time out with this car. I've attached the details of all six passes including the time of day.

My 1st three runs were mostly for feeling out the car right as I got there, granny shifting at 6 grand. For all the launches I was slipping the clutch out while holding the revs between 2-3 grand. I didn't get any wheel hop probably because I didn't ever flat out dump the clutch hard - that's for next time out.

The next three runs were after the car sat for about 25 minutes. I power shifted 1-2 at about 6200-6300 (too close to tell) and granny shifted 2-3 and 3-4. My last run would have been the best ET but I hit the rev limiter at the top of 3rd gear and the car felt like it took a nosedive.

Best ET here:

60 ft 2.184
330 ft 5.799
1/8 ET 8.675
1/8 MPH 86.05
1000 ft 11.068

1/4 ET 13.166
1/4 MPH 109.43

Any comments on the car? I know my 60 ft times sucked.
whats power shifting and granny shifting exactly?

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Powershifting is keeping the gas planted on the floor while you shift. Do it fast.
Granny shifting is just a normal, everday shift.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
sn95roller said:
how high in rpms do you guys usually leave?
Try somewhere around 2000-3000 rpms depending on how much you spin. I start at 2000 and work up from there in 200 rpm increments until I get wheelspin. A little bog is better than spinning in my opinion.

The problem I had with powershifting with F-1s was losing momentum because of wheelspin between gears. My 12.97 was actually granny shifted and I thought it was a slow run. My next run, I powershifted each gear and it felt much better but ended up being a 13.1. :shrug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts