Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody really seeing a difference between the Goodyear Gatorback belts and the Gates belts?

·
Registered
325 Posts
BlownCobra

Out of the time I have used both belts, I have noticed that the gatorback belt is way better. I tried both of the same size of belts before and after installing the idler pulleys, and there was a lot more residue from belt slippage when using the gates than with the gatorback belt. Remember all cars are different, so this is what I noticed with my 03. I hope this helps?

G

·
I vote for the Gatorback, I used one on my Lightning and I think its a superior belt, very tough and pre-stretched at the factory

its the official belt of NASCAR.....

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Get the Gatorback. They are the best out there currently.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
IWRBB said:
Get the Gatorback. They are the best out there currently.
And also have a lifetime warranty.:D

P.S. Keep your reciept.

Razor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, it seems that's the belt of choice.

However, what about the fact the Goodyear belt puts added downward pressure on the upper pulley and nose cone, increasing the likelyhood of premature wear? Especially with the internal bearings being ceramic not steel?

G

·
BlownCobra said:
However, what about the fact the Goodyear belt puts added downward pressure on the upper pulley and nose cone, increasing the likelyhood of premature wear?
where did that info come from?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Magnuson Products, they are the Retail providers for the EATON supercharger. Here is there website, I spoke with Tech support.

www.magnusonproducts.com

I was incorrect on the bearing, they are steel, however they will warp.

G

·
yes, they rebuild the units for Eaton also, but this is the first I've ever heard about Gatorbacks "putting added downward pressure on the upper pulley and nose cone, increasing the likelihood of premature wear"

not that I doubt your sincerity, but this is something I'll have to check into myself....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JB-
Not offended, that's why I gave you the link...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think a lot of what Magnuson was concerned about was the belts inability to stretch. The Gate's belt will give in the first 500 miles.

With so many folks running the 2.80 or 2.93 pulleys and wanting the tightest wrap, thereby pulling the tensioners to there limit..etc...etc.. Something has to give.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The question is: where can you buy Goodyear Gatorback belts? I have been looking around for a while. No one has the size that I need for a 3.10 upper and a 6lb lower combination. I even looked for a belt for a stock lower and 3.10 or 2.80 upper, with no luck, even after telling them the Goodyear part numbers. Autozone says the vendor is out of stock and doesn’t know when they can get them. The local Goodyear dealer says they can’t get the size I need either. I bought a Gates belt from NAPA because that was the only belt I could find that was the right size.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AUCobra
How do you like it? Any issues with slip? You probally bought the 25-080780 or the 25-080774. The reason I started the thread was for the same reasons like you.. I am putting on a 4# lower and 3.10 upper with the 3.2 alt pulley setup, but could not find my size. Then upon further research I found several people disenchanted with Goodyear, including Magnuson. So I thought I was ask again ...why Gatorbacks?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the 25-080774 belt and have been using it with a 2lb lower and a 3.10 or 2.80 upper, and the Metco idler in the upper position. It is tight with the 3.10. I do get slip with both upper pulleys. On the dyno, I saw peak boost at 17lbs with the 2.80 (dropping to around 13lbs) and 14 lbs with the 3.10 (dropping to about 11.5 lbs). I figure I won’t over spin the alternator much using the 2 lb lower.

I will have to get the 25-080780 if I want to use the 6 lb lower. I didn’t try the lower idler position to see if the 25-080774 belt would work that way.

Bottom line the way I see it: If I can’t get a Gatorback, then I have to use a Gates.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree, although I have had a revelation since our last post, read my thread "A funny thing happened at Mustang Magic"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts