Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, if you look into the piston wells (if that's what they're called) you'll see these black caps, that make it so you can't really see the nitty girtty peices of the brakes. Does anyone know what these are called, and where I can get them?
Here's a pictures of calipers WITHOUT them.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/6197/img3284bj5.jpg

Thanks guys, if you have no idea what parts I'm talking about, I can try and explain it better, but in those 'wells' you'll see there is no black circular cover at the bottom, and I think it makes my calipers look terrible.

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Hey guys, if you look into the piston wells (if that's what they're called) you'll see these black caps, that make it so you can't really see the nitty girtty peices of the brakes. Does anyone know what these are called, and where I can get them?
Here's a pictures of calipers WITHOUT them.

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/6197/img3284bj5.jpg

Thanks guys, if you have no idea what parts I'm talking about, I can try and explain it better, but in those 'wells' you'll see there is no black circular cover at the bottom, and I think it makes my calipers look terrible.
The "black caps" as you are referring to them, is part of the outside brake pad.

The pad pushes into the holes in the caliper, and that's what holds it in place. If you look around the edge of the hole you'll see the triagular looking points that grab ahold of the sides of the hole. If yours look bad it's probably because they've been out in the elements a lot and they've faded.

Easiest way to fix this is to take the caliper off and hang it in the fenderwell with a piece of clothes hanger... pull the pad out and paint inside the holes in the pad. It's either that or get new pads to fix the "cosmetic" problem.

Shannon

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Wasn't there a company selling some aluminum looking plugs for those holes a while back? I remember seeing a couple cars with them on here, but I don't remember where they got them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
my car came with those aluminum discs, but I lost 1, or 2 of them. You can just use a brush with some black touch-up paint, and "color" in the circles with that. It will look good from a distance anyway...

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
i have the 10th anniv calipers on my GT and the plugs you mention are actually attached to the pads. They center the pad in the caliper and help to hold it in place. I have stock cobra pads that came with the calipers

·
The Canadian Snowbra
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And it all becomes clear, that's the type of answer I was waiting for. I'm not a moron, and I've taken apart a bunch of calipers. I honestly thought that perhaps there was a black insert that you slid into those wells, which rested on the back of the pad (or heat shield if there is one). I just have yet to take apart the calipers and pads on my Cobra.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts