Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I ordered a 03 Cobra block and the block arrived but it only had a 2 bolt main and 2 that come in from the side. I thought they were 4-bolt main and 2 side supports. Did FORD package my block wrong or what. Now that I see it is a 2-bolt Im wanting to chunk deuce to it.

What I want to know is what is the difference between the following.

96-98 Cobra block
03 Mach1 Block
03 Explorer block.

All of them are alum. and 4.6's. What exactly is diff and what is the max power they can hold.

·
Registered
482 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What bothers me though is should I use the 03 block that I have. Everyone is telling me it should be strong enough. I mean look at Richard Lelsz from Strictly Performance and Nitrous Petes car. Both cars make 800rwhp+. Is it going to make a difference not having a 6-bolt main anymore??

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The 03 block is stronger than all the aluminum blocks from what I hear. Even though it has 2 main bolts vs 4. Plus you don't have the block flex that is associated with the aluminum ones. You will be fine with your choice.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The 03 block is definitely stronger, but the aluminum can support what 99% of the people will be making and also shaves 80# off the front of the car.

Great place to save some weight if you're not willing to sacrifice in other areas (rear seat removal, sound padding, etc).

Just a thought....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Aluminum is nice for the weight, but who can argue with 700hp out of a 300$ block?

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts