Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my 2003 Black Cobra this coming Monday. I test drove it yesterday and it felt great but I heard a ticking sound at idle. I was wondering if this can be eliminated by raising the idle to like 1000?

Anyway, I was planning on purchasing a 2.80" Reichard Racing Pulley and a 6lb lower pulley. What kind of Idler should I purchase with these 2 pullies? Anyone know how much boost pressure this will provide?

The other thing I need to change is the ride height and exhaust. For exhaust im planning on running a ProChamber with Mac Catback. Is it better to go 2.5" or 3"?

For springs, do any springs provide the Cobra with a 2" drop?

·
Registered
122 Posts
If its "the tick" you have to have the heads swapped. I think you are the first person I know of that has had major problems with the car before they got it.

I've never had the tick tho, so what do i know?.. maybe someone who has can chime in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
RGrossman, Is the car you are going to buy used? If so look on the drivers side head, down low and see what the build date is. If it is before 11/02 then you may need to have the head replaced due to "the tick".

You will be able to hear the tick while idling next to a wall or by squating and listening behind the drivers side front tire. You won't be able to hear it with the hood open.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have them change the head. It is used with 6000 miles.

Anyone have any thoughts on boost and ride height? Where is the build date on the head?

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
RGrossman said:
I will have them change the head. It is used with 6000 miles.

Anyone have any thoughts on boost and ride height? Where is the build date on the head?
The 2.8 by itself should put you at 15-17. The 6lb lower by itself put you at 14-16. Personally I think both would be overkill and you would be making so much heat with the eaton the EEC would pull tons of timing, you would heat soak the IC/HE setup and overall not get the benefit your looking for...thats just my 2 cents though. I would say the billetflow idler myself.

This link should answer most of your questions.

http://www.alfageek.com/03faq.htm

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Gonna get a 2.75 non-slip and an idler and call it quits. Why do people bother with the lower at all?

·
Registered
285 Posts
2.80 upper makes 13lbs of boost on my car
2.93 w/ 6lb lower makes 18lbs

I wouldnt waste the money on a idler if doing both pullies, it wont do a damn thing for you but empty your wallet some. I dynoed back to back w/ idler and w/o with the 2 pullies and make 1hp differnce and the belt still slipped

1 - 7 of 7 Posts