Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I blew the motor a week or so ago and had it pulled apart today. I need 4 pistons if anyone can help I would appreciate it.Who makes them or where I can get some? maybe someone else with a blown motor 03?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2.8 upper
6 lb lower
PHP heat exchanger
PHP cold air
magnaflow catback and off road x pipe
billet idler

Ford wants 237 employee cost for each one.

When I did call the parts dept... they asked me if I had level 1 level 2 or level 3 pistons? What is he talking about.
the 2 ford dealers I called are showing 3 different pistons for the 03 Cobra

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If I had it apart, I would just replace the whole set. I would suggest a set of CP pistons. If the engine ran lean enough to damage 4 pistons the other pistons and rings had to have been exposed to extreme heat.

·
Registered
511 Posts
JE now offers a extreme PSI blower piston with rings to go with it. They are supposed to solve the ring land issue with high PSI applications.

Part number for the pistons is 194-329 and the rings number is J60008-3570-5

These should handle anything you throw at them.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
BE VERY CAREFUL!

I wouldn't use anything but what was in the car originally. Slight piston difference will change your compression. TABOO!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd go with the CP 17cc dish in 2618 alloy from ModMax. They come with .866 pins and double spiro locks. They are good to 1400hp by their website specs.

FYI 17cc dish with DOHC = 8.5:1 CR far as I know - same as stock 03 cobra.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I went with the JE pistons over the CPs at the last minute based on the information about their latest piston. I will be curious to see how they look compared to the CP pistons.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Anybody else find it strange this guy is saying he melted his pistons and hasn't shown any pictures?

·
Registered
521 Posts
03BlownCobra said:
maybe someone else with a blown motor 03?
I doubt it!!!!!!:mad:

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
toofast4u said:
Anybody else find it strange this guy is saying he melted his pistons and hasn't shown any pictures?
The guy's car is blown...not that it means anything, but I can vouch for it.

·
L&M Engines
274 Posts
03BlownCobra

Piston (as well as bearing) grading is normal at the OEM level due to the fact that they can't hold the tolerances required. The grading is based on cylinder size which the parts or service dept. should have published.

Piston overheating cause has been identified by the guys here, no guess work required.

If 4 pistons have seen over 900 degrees, why would the other cylinders not see similiar temps?

If you still have doubt, conduct a Rockwell test on the "Good" pistons and compare to a new piston.

We haven't discussed signs of ring overheating which I'm sure you will see.

We sell Manley, ModMax And JE Pistons all are suitable for your application.

Best to you. //Michael

1 - 20 of 30 Posts