Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone written a book on rebuilding and modifying the 4.6/5.4? Which 2v blocks are weak and which are stronger. What heads to mod or which to stay away from? Bullet proof bottom end using cast iron block and cobra crank? What rods are better than others? :confused: Lots of questions-need a book.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I havent heard of a book yet, MM&FF have put out a few that are mostly bolt on books. I bought 1 cost me about $30 (mail order) turned out to be a collection of mag. articles. I felt ripped off lol. There is a book on Ford ODBII tuning.
The mod motor seems to confuse most people there are many different heads, blocks etc.. there are some we dont even see in cars built for the US and Canada. karkraft.com is selling an aluminum block 4 bolt main and cross bolted that is for export only. To OZ I think for the Falcon. I think there is around 10 different blocks 4.6/5.4 combined and probably even more heads between romeo, windsor and FRPP. I would say newer is better, for 4.6 the 03 cobra block and heads, 5.4 the latest lightning block and P.I 2v or 03 4v cobra heads.
my .02 cents.

Edit: Also if you are wanting to know about Ford sold internals, 4.6 03 cobra crank and rods, 5.4 03 lightning crank and rods. They can probably take 500+ HP all day.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i might sound like a retard but why are our engines called modular what does modular mean ????????

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't seen any books, yet. BUT, here's an article that I think can help you out. I found it VERY informative.

babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb40228.htm

Also, the answer to your question, what does modular mean?, is in the 2nd paragraph - it's an interchangability thing.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
96stang46 said:
i might sound like a retard but why are our engines called modular what does modular mean ????????
Its a flexible engine design. Ford has v6s, v8s, and the truck v10 that all share the same basic engine architecture. For instance the v10 uses the same pistons/rods as the 5.4 v8, accesories mount the same, etc... Was supposed to save a lot of money on engine design, but they've made so many different tweaks/versions of just the 4.6 that I doubt it has saved much at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts