Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to have my motor built. My tuner is suggesting i go with the 5.3 stroker based on the Boss block. Just wondering what you guys think?..Shall i just stay with a 5.0 cobra block stroker or go for it with the Boss ?..I'am not sure what i am getting into i guess so looking for some advise...pros/cons This a weekend driver with very little track. I also run the 2.3 whipple. Thanks for your comments!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm building up a 5.3L 3V for my '06 'Stang. The FRPP Boss 5.0 Mod motor block is the best block out there for strength. Its' cast iron, simese bore, with 17 mm thich webs, cast in the Clevland plant, and machined by Roush.

I went with A Kellogg 3.75 in. 4340 crank, 4340V Oliver billet rods, and Ross custom forged pistons to keep the compression ratio at 9.25. (street 10 psi - KB 2.6 supercharger) (Strip ....15 to 18 psi). It will be a while before I finish getting it all together, but .... I'm totally stoked about the project!

As soon as the pistons come in the crank will go out for balancing, and the block will go out for torque block honing. I haven't decided what I'm going with for heads or cams yet.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
This is a great post. I want to do the same thing for my 03 cobra. But people are telling me to go with a aluminum block instead, and save 70lbs off the front end.

weight saving??? more cubes???? which one!! lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am getting ready to have my motor built. My tuner is suggesting i go with the 5.3 stroker based on the Boss block. Just wondering what you guys think?..Shall i just stay with a 5.0 cobra block stroker or go for it with the Boss ?..I'am not sure what i am getting into i guess so looking for some advise...pros/cons This a weekend driver with very little track. I also run the 2.3 whipple. Thanks for your comments!
How much power do you want to make?

If your not looking for big power and just a street car with little track time I would just stay with a proven reliable 298 stroker and 70lbs lighter is a decent plus. I can't see no reason to go with a 5.3 then imo. A decent 298 stroker capable of running mid 10's is plenty for the street on dr's imo and will still be fun at the track.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats another thing.. i am only looking for 600 -650 rwhp. Would I gain a lot more torque with the extra .3 liters ? The only reason i am considering the 5.3 is because i have a chance to save some big money on the install end but if its going to be overkill then it wouldn't be worth it I suppose At least 5.0 stroker would maybe make more sense. I just dont know enough about built motors and what to expect...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thats another thing.. i am only looking for 600 -650 rwhp. Would I gain a lot more torque with the extra .3 liters ? The only reason i am considering the 5.3 is because i have a chance to save some big money on the install end but if its going to be overkill then it wouldn't be worth it I suppose At least 5.0 stroker would maybe make more sense. I just dont know enough about built motors and what to expect...
I always think and go by ¼ et first in my mind when looking at options and how fast I want to go. If mid tens isn't fast enough (around 540-570rwhp) then depending how fast you want to go then the more I would consider the 5.3. I have not seen dyno data on a Whipple 5.3 motor vs a 298 so guessing maybe around 20rwtq for that .3 liter increase.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After considering the kind of driving i'll be doing which is mostly street and weekends I've decided to go with the 5.0. The cost of parts and labor alone for the 5.0 build also played a huge part in the decision . Thanks for helping me decide i will defitnetly post results and videos as soon as its ready....

I always think and go by ¼ et first in my mind when looking at options and how fast I want to go. If mid tens isn't fast enough (around 540-570rwhp) then depending how fast you want to go then the more I would consider the 5.3. I have not seen dyno data on a Whipple 5.3 motor vs a 298 so guessing maybe around 20rwtq for that .3 liter increase.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's expensive to do a 5.3, but I did it and am very happy with it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts