Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we've had 10 years, I've seen a few happen, I want to take a nice v6 new edge, and drop a built and stroked out 6.2 (maybe livernois' 6.6 crate, maybe dropping in a 7.3 crank with some custom rods and an overbore to make a 7.0l)

Can I control it cost effectively (no motec) with anything other than the factory ECU while keeping VCT???

What do I need for it to bolt up in a new edge?

Should I bother pulling a 6r140 from a super duty or go for a 6r80, 4r70, or even a manual?

Do the super duty versions have the powerstroke bellhousing or the modular bellhousing?

Any other info you may need to swap one, I'd like this to be a good source of information for future swappers :)

·
Administrator
9,679 Posts
The ECU question is easily solved with an MS3Pro PnP or MS3Pro. The PnP version will cost you $1,499 and use an OEM wiring harness. The MS3Pro will cost you $1,749 including the wiring harness. Both systems will work nicely for you supporting the VCT, drive by wire if you wish to use it, and a myriad of other features including flex-fuel capability. Both the MS3Pro systems contain a wide range of engine save features along with other nice to-have features like a wireless Bluetooth connection capability between the ECU and your laptop for tuning and data logging purposes.

With respect to transmissions go with the strongest unit you have access to which would be the 6R140. If you are using it in a truck with a hopped up engine you will need strength.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would I control a 6r140 with the megasquirt? Or would I have to piggyback? It's going in a mustang so strength should be any issue with any member of the 6r series.

And honestly if i have to piggyback it I would probably just run the OEM harness and just use HPtuners.
The ECU question is easily solved with an MS3Pro PnP or MS3Pro. The PnP version will cost you $1,499 and use an OEM wiring harness. The MS3Pro will cost you $1,749 including the wiring harness. Both systems will work nicely for you supporting the VCT, drive by wire if you wish to use it, and a myriad of other features including flex-fuel capability. Both the MS3Pro systems contain a wide range of engine save features along with other nice to-have features like a wireless Bluetooth connection capability between the ECU and your laptop for tuning and data logging purposes.

With respect to transmissions go with the strongest unit you have access to which would be the 6R140. If you are using it in a truck with a hopped up engine you will need strength.

·
Administrator
9,679 Posts
Some ECUs have the transmission control logic built in, others a microsquirt specifically programmed to control transmissions. From your questions, it sounds like you are in the deep end of the swimming pool without a life jacket. If you have never done this before you should proceed with caution. The Ford strategies for a given ECU typically only support the transmissions Ford sold with the particular model vehicle the ECU was taken out of. There is some limited ability to "reconfigure " this by going to different ECU strategies but I would be surprised if you could find the code from Ford that would run the range of transmissions you are considering.

If you intend to stay with Ford ECUs you are going to need to do a fair amount of research before you select a particular transmission. If you go aftermarket you can do pretty much anything you want. Your commentary suggests you are looking for a plug-and-play solution and to my knowledge, it doesn't exist outside the transmission offerings Ford has originally provided for the vehicle. That doesn't mean it can not be done. Your commentary suggests you are unknowledgeable and unwilling to invest the time or money in learning. That pretty much leaves you with the options Ford offered for the particular vehicle you have selected.

Another item you might want to consider is the fact the aftermarket ECU's provide all manner of engine safety overrides, traction control tools, multifuel strategies, fuel metering strategies, VCT support, support for both high and low impedance injectors along with any size injector and a myriad of additional features and tooling (not to mention documentation — which Ford doesn't offer) to get the job done.

You should assess your personal skills levels in both the mechanical and electronic controls domains to determine if you believe you are up to the task of taking on a project of this magnitude.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some ECUs have the control built in some use a microsquirt specifically programmed to control transmissions. From your questions, it sounds like you are in the deep end of the swimming pool without a life jacket. If you have never done this before you should proceed with caution. The Ford strategies for a given ECU typically only support the transmissions Ford sold with the particular model vehicle the ECU was taken out of. There is some limited ability to "reconfigure " this by going to different ECU strategies but I would be surprised if you could find the code from Ford that would run the range of transmissions you are considering.

If you intend to stay with Ford ECUs you are going to need to do a fair amount of research before you select a particular transmission. If you go aftermarket you can do pretty much anything you want. Your commentary suggests you are looking for a plug-and-play solution and to my knowledge, it doesn't exist outside the transmission offerings Ford has originally provided for the vehicle. That doesn't mean it can not be done. Your commentary suggests you are unknowledgeable and unwilling to invest the time or money in learning. That pretty much leaves you with the options Ford offered for the particular vehicle you have selected.

Another item you might want to consider is the fact the aftermarket ECU's provide all manner of engine safety overrides, traction control tools, multifuel strategies, fuel metering strategies, VCT support, support for both high and low impedance injectors along with any size injector and a myriad of additional features and tooling (not to mention documentation — which Ford doesn't offer) to get the job done.

You should assess your personal skills levels in both the mechanical and electronic controls domains to determine if you believe you are up to the task of taking on a project of this magnitude.
I've learned quite a bit, and am having a hard time finding the information I'm asking. If I'm gonna run it off a ford ECU I will take the engine, transmission, harness, and ECU all from the same donor vehicle and utilize it in that method. If I was doing a 4r70 I'd just control it with the megasquirt. I'd honestly rather go with holley that I have a large amount of experience within I'm going standalone, seeing as how I have holley on both my own 2v 4.6 powered 96 mustang, and my father's LS2 powered 75 nova, both of which I'm responsible for tuning (he's a chassis guy.

I just have zero experience with megasquirt, and I've been told within the last year megasquirt does not have capability to control any 6 speeds without hardware modification that I'm not prepared for. I can build a harness but I don't think I can manufacture an ECU. Maybe repair one, but not manufacture.

(I really want control of the 6 speeds they came with.. or the 10 speed but I know that's factory side still.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts