Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting close to getting it back on the street and am thinking about the brake setup.

My track wheels are 15x3 pro stars so I can't go the monster rotor route. Will stock rotors and upgraded pads do the trick or should I go ahead and pick up a set of cross drilled or slotted rotors to help out?

·
Registered
916 Posts
have you looked in to aerospace brakes?

·
I am the Stig
2,329 Posts
I dont see why some trick pads and stock brakes won't work. Its hauled my car down from there numerous times. They will work fine, they are cheap and easy to maintain. But not the lightest though.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Crossdrilled/slotted rotors won't help at all bro. Get some better pads that's all you need. You could go larger but then you need spacers for the drag tires.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I found myself in trouble one time on the street, couldn't stop, and I bought the Cobra Front brakes the next day, 10 times better than stock. For the track the stockers are fine. For the street Cobra upgrade brakes all the way. JMO.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's about what I was thinking. The only reason I thought about replacing the rotors was to help vent the gasses off the pads.

Sounds like a set of Hawk pads and I'll be set.

Thanks guys.

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
A good set of brake pads will do the trick. Rotors would be the next upgrade IMO.

·
2V powered
3,866 Posts
I run one 1/2" and one 3/8". I did a lot of grinding on the caliper. I almost can get by with just the 1/2" spacer. I just need to do some more grinding.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
I'm still on stock brake system and it stops just fine for me. Certain tracks have a shorter run-off area though, and it gets a little hairier. The 1/4 track down in Jackson, SC is one with a short runway, and it takes all the brakes to haul it back down to make the return road.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I run stock bullitt brakes on the rear and aerospace on the front. Stops just fine. Would of kept the stock fronts and upgraded pads if I only ran my skinnies at the track. 3/4" of spacers on the front looks kind of funky.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I run the brakes an 01 GT came with, stock replacement pads... and 3.5" MT skinnies, never had an issue with our local track. I don't see a 130 or so car having a problem, but I would imagine 140-150, and you better have brakes that stop on a dime.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I run the brakes an 01 GT came with, stock replacement pads... and 3.5" MT skinnies, never had an issue with our local track. I don't see a 130 or so car having a problem, but I would imagine 140-150, and you better have brakes that stop on a dime.
I'm failrly confident of reaching 130 in the 1/4. 140 is not unthinkable though.

I'm prob going to upgrade the pads and fluid and go from there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went with slotted rotors, hawk pads and S/S lines all around and it slows the car just as good at 65 as at 125

1 - 16 of 16 Posts