Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
... How would the engine fail in a way that would only wear the transmission side of the thrust bearing and not the other side? or what would cause that symptom? ...
Foreign particulate matter finding its way between the crank thrust face and the thrust bearing insert material.

Ed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Mini update for anyone following.

Ive got a stock used 90k mile motor dropped in, with the same trans, same tune, same torque converter, same fuel injectors/coils, same oil cooler, I didnt use the same upgraded flexplate.. I went with the OEM stock one at the recommendation of ArtCarrs Transmission that inspected the flexplates and trans. Just no benefit for my use case. I did since i had so much time on my hands, redo all the fuel injector and sparkplug connectors on the engine wiring harness :)

No overheating on the freeway on a cold night the like the custom shortblock did. Only 100 miles in but it feels stronger then the racing engine I had built. See if I can magically kill the thrust bearing with all my powers combined. She rips through 2nd gear, feels like a beast.

Im pretty convinced it was something with the build of that short block, but time will tell.

Picture: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wzv3z7K1n5Ng-9Cl1Fy1D0eBemwrPDSf

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Over 2k miles on the used stock engine (hard hard miles). Zero issues. CHP is not even returning my own parts (ARP head/side/main studs).

I made https://coasthighsucks.com/ - with a timeline work in process to make small claims breakdown easier to go through.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
This sad story is an excellent example about why everyone needs to be deliberate and circumspect in your selection of vendors and service providers. Like the old adage about where there is smoke there is fire. Where there are unhappy customers there is always a problematic service provider or reseller. Best to steer around them. The sweetness of low price quickly goes away and the bitter taste of being taken advantage of lingers long after. Careful inspection usually comes back confirming the low price was not even the low price.

Ed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Small claims should be a slam dunk with all this documentation and them doing absolutely nothing. Then a lien on their business. Ill let everyone know when I own a piece of CHP :)

Going for the full $10,000 since the invoices/receipts are well, well over that.

Side note the car is running so good, I have not even changed the original oil that came in the used engine.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Small claims should be a slam dunk with all this documentation and them doing absolutely nothing. Then a lien on their business. Ill let everyone know when I own a piece of CHP :)

Going for the full $10,000 since the invoices/receipts are well, well over that.

Side note the car is running so good, I have not even changed the original oil that came in the used engine.
Good job in the documentation dept, Justin! I am sure you will prevail in Small Claims. Don't get emotional before the Judge be like Joe Friday on the old Streets of San Francisco series - "just the facts ..." in an unemotional but clear, concise and respectful delivery.

When you file the papers you will have to choose how you want them served. You can use a traditional civilian process server or you can use a Uniformed California Sheriff who will drive up in a Sheriff's Cruiser and step out in full uniform with his Smokey the Bear hat, holstered weapon and court documents. A very imposing image walking in the front door of any business. Also someone that they will be less inclined to play games with. It reinforces your commitment to the process and last time I looked cost you only $25 which you can put onto the defendant - besides it's lots of fun.

They will call you and suggest your actions are over the top. They might try to offer a compromise like their, "we'll rebuild it" offer they have previously made to you but never followed through on. My suggestion is that you should advise them the only thing you want rebuilt by them is your checking account, please send $10K. Do not even open the door for negotiation. That train left the station a long time ago.

If the rebuild option is tabled in Court decline it on the basis of having already tried it and discovered through their demonstrated performance both in the building of the engine and then in their subsequent unsatisfactory customer service when it failed, argues that this is not a prudent path to pursue. Remind the court you had already previously explored this solution with them and not withstanding their begrudging agreement to participate, they never took any actions to fulfill the commitment. Again, their lack of customer support and subsequent follow thorough in the previous repair / replacement initiatives demonstrates this would not be a prudent path to pursue again.

Be calm, enjoy the ride. You are in the driver's seat this time and it will be a great experience. Stick to the documented facts. Anything they suggest that is not in documentary form, object to and point out it is either hearsay or there is no documentary proof. You will have a great learning experience and even get paid for it in the end! If you have not, get the NOLO Press book on Small Claims Court (<= clickable) and read through it for California Small Claims Court procedures and rules. Dot your I's, cross your T's and enjoy the ride.

Ed

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks Ed, appreciate your help and chats during this mess. Ordering that book today.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just a mini update here.

Someone reached out to me over a month ago, and let me know that CHP had a new owner doing facebook live posts or something. New owner "Nate". I thought what the hell its worth asking this new owner if I could get my own parts returned ha ($1k~ in billet timing guides, timing chains, tensioners, arp mains/head/side bolts etc..).

After two bizarre calls with Nate, who insisted integrity is what everything is about and hes all about integrity etc.. he was going to return my parts (i offered to pay shipping, he declined and said they would take care of it).

Month later, no parts returned, no communications returned.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Justin, I am certain you have read the Peanuts comic strip from time to time. There is a segment of Schultz humor that has Lucy holding a football as Charley Brown plays the role of place kicker. Each time Charley Brown goes to kick the ball Lucy pulls it away and — well you know the ending.

You are too decent of a guy and give the other guy the benefit of the doubt too much. You need to moderate those good but potentially damaging (to you) character traits. You and CHP are well past any type of compromise resolution. The train left the train station on that sort of ending eons ago. The discussions with CHP, if any right now, should only consist of providing them your mailing address to send the check to, absolutely nothing else.

Get the small claims paperwork completed and filed with the court. Go to court and get your judgement and your $10K. After the judgement you should prepare yourself for a challenge getting paid. You may well have to take additional steps after the judgement. If you do we can talk about them at that time. Right now the #1 order of business for you is to get the small claims court paperwork filed.

Ed

p.s. Remember in your claim do not turn it into a science class on engine building. Maintain it as the value for value exchange contract you entered into with CHP. You provide them with money and they provide you with a product. The money was not defective the product was. You have been patient and polite in your requests for resolution and they have been non responsive. Now you want your money back. They have broken the contract. Keep it simple, stay away from science and technology or you will be paying expert witnesses to support your claim.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You gotta have a little faith in people some times ha but I get it.

Listening to this new owner talk about integrity as if his life depends and runs by it... I thought maybe ha. Cant hurt to ask!

Car is still running amazing with the stock motor and all the parts they blamed it on. I also took it to a local dyno (the dyno/tuner CHP/CPR recommened to just run it and see how things are looking (compared to what my dyno and tuner said). He confirmed it was a very safe tune, fuel pressure/AFR etc.. was perfect.

CHP/CPR is pivoting into making paper weights or short block coffee tables :)

Thanks Ed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Mini random update ha:

It turns out Martin @ CHP and CPRE is a nitrous kingpin for illegal drug use an ex-employees detailed reply (not sure i can link to another forums post, but i included that employees post at the bottom of coasthighsucks.com) and they were raided by the FEDS years ago for the same thing.

Bleh!

Stay away from CHP CPRE.

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Get the Small Claims forms filed and served. If the Feds come down on them, everybody else is at the end of the food line. More significantly, usually the feds don't leave anything on the table for anyone else when they are done.

Ed

p.s. There is a phrase that has particular significance in this matter. It goes like this, "Time is of the essence."

21 - 32 of 32 Posts