Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people have actually broke their input shaft on the Cobra T56? I am looking at getting the KB, but wondering if I need to upgrade the trans to a viper spec at the same time. I was also wondering what peoples opinion was on this failure being caused by wheel hop loads like the half shafts.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
90 views and no responses. "Don't believe the hype" :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
I only know of two postings regarding 03's. I doubt it's a major issue. It seems more likely (based on the data I currently have available) that the broken input shaft issue is simply a faulty part issue. This is based on my understanding of the testing of automotive parts (I used to make Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique suspension components back in like 94). When we tested the parts, it was statistical, where we tested 5 parts per 100 (or somewhere in that range) for clearance, strength, and play. If we found a problem, we resolved it before starting back up, but since we only tested 5% of the parts, there were bound to be some that were "sub-standard".

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I was just giving you a TTT.

With the KB you probably should look into it if you are concerned. Your tranny is worth a lot of money in working order. Check out highmiles' posts for all the details.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've only seen two '03s have it happen also.

They both were running aftermarket stronger clutches. I really think this is key. Read on.

Keep in mind something has to give somewhere when using parts not rated for the force you are putting to them.

To instantly accelerate 3800+ lbs is quite a feat. If you've got the torque to move it, which we all do, then you have to start looking at what must give when that object can't be instantly moved as fast as the torque is capable of moving it.

Tires will spin
or
Half shafts could snap
or
Clutches will slip (theirs wouldn't)
or
Driveshafts might break
or
Input shafts may twist

Or sometimes combinations will happen.

Honestly, it's inevitable at that power level with parts that aren't rated for it that SOMETHING will give.

It seems like letting your clutch slip is saving input shafts from twisting on these Ford T56 trannys. It's just my opinion, but something to think about.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine broke,if you want statistics call D&D performance they sell the viper T-56 which i put in mine to replace the stock unit.
There is no comparison,the factory unit is crap.
I guaruntee you he has sold more than 2.

·
400 Posts
We are in the proccess of making a 26 spline input shaft for the T56. This can be used with a z28 disk. Alot of guys will soon be running slicks with there HD halfshafts so if you change the clutch I'd do the input while I have the tranny out. Will keep you posted.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts