Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During our 01' to 03' project the stud on the under hood drivers side fuse box was stuck. When applying torque it snapped and bent the metal. I posted here because the car has a full 03 drive train.

I could not use the harness from the 03' because it was corroded with battery acid and some of the wires were cut.

So I took the box apart as far as I could. Straightened out the metal plate then the stud area and re-installed it. Its my wife's daily and she called today saying after 5 months the electronics in the car went nuts on the way to work, radio, gauges, lights ect...

Can I use a box/harness from a V6 or GT as well? I don't think they have anything specific to the cobra other than the fog lights which I think the GT would have.

Also if you have changed just the plastic of the box. How did you do it without cutting wires??? I couldn't figure out a way to do it with the 03' box I had.

This is my wife's daily so I've gotta fix this ASAP. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all 99-04 Mustangs used the same box. I didn't have to replace my box, but I did take it apart to add a circuit for a dual FPDM conversion (I didn't want to hang a fuse holder/additional wire off the stud).

If the metal plate is all that is damaged and not the plastic box itself, you can replace just that. It will take a bit of working around the wires, but it could be worse.

If you need to replace the whole box, it should just be a matter of removing the bottom cover, removing the metal "distribution plate" (the plate that provides power from the stud to one side of all the fuses), removing all the fuses/relays, removing the red locking clips (under the fuses), unhooking all the clips on the end of the wires within the box (the ones on the other side of the fuses that go to power a given circuit), and remove the clips that go between the distribution plate and the fuses (if you buy a used box, you can just leave the ones already in it).

Might sound simple, but there are a lot of clips to undo. It'll take a while since you also have to make sure each wire goes back in the right place. Otherwise, you might install a fuse with the wrong amp rating for a given circuit.

If you need a better mental picture, let me know. I can take a few pictures to help you out further.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all 99-04 Mustangs used the same box. I didn't have to replace my box, but I did take it apart to add a circuit for a dual FPDM conversion (I didn't want to hang a fuse holder/additional wire off the stud).

If the metal plate is all that is damaged and not the plastic box itself, you can replace just that. It will take a bit of working around the wires, but it could be worse.

If you need to replace the whole box, it should just be a matter of removing the bottom cover, removing the metal "distribution plate" (the plate that provides power from the stud to one side of all the fuses), removing all the fuses/relays, removing the red locking clips (under the fuses), unhooking all the clips on the end of the wires within the box (the ones on the other side of the fuses that go to power a given circuit), and remove the clips that go between the distribution plate and the fuses (if you buy a used box, you can just leave the ones already in it).

Might sound simple, but there are a lot of clips to undo. It'll take a while since you also have to make sure each wire goes back in the right place. Otherwise, you might install a fuse with the wrong amp rating for a given circuit.

If you need a better mental picture, let me know. I can take a few pictures to help you out further.
Yes that'd be helpful thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts