Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and took the cobra out while the rain stopped abit here....ran awesome!!! until....whap! slap slap slap slap!!!!!! I knew right what it was instantly...drove the rest of the way home...opened the hood...ouch! Nice custom job on my hood insulator :D Took that off now....need another now. Oh well...the car did run great...I had a Gates 774 on there with my 2.8 and 6 lb lower and billetflow idler wrap system. I guess the belt must be too tight or something....was right in the good area of the tensioner indicator...alittle past half way towards tighter.

Man...when those belts go..they go!

Harry

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
I went and took the cobra out while the rain stopped abit here....ran awesome!!! until....whap! slap slap slap slap!!!!!! I knew right what it was instantly...drove the rest of the way home...opened the hood...ouch! Nice custom job on my hood insulator :D Took that off now....need another now. Oh well...the car did run great...I had a Gates 774 on there with my 2.8 and 6 lb lower and billetflow idler wrap system. I guess the belt must be too tight or something....was right in the good area of the tensioner indicator...alittle past half way towards tighter.

Man...when those belts go..they go!

Harry
Gates Belt..My Friend also broke(SHREADED) a Gates belt...I"D try a Gatorback..

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Gatorback Belt,,,SFPH $40 shipped...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I run the Gatorback now as well, I also have a gates 74 that I have run with, logically it seems to me the Gates would ride better in the grooves of the blower pulley, and the Gatorback would ride on top, is this right??? I have the billetflow 100mm idler and the Gatorback 74inch belt and after beating on my car I am seeing quite a bit of dust in my spokes on my idler, although it had dust with the gates as well, is this normal????

·
Registered
521 Posts
I thought belt dust was a sign of slipping? After I put the billetflow idler on, I really haven't seen any belt dust to speak of. I also run the Gatorback.....Stock lower, 2.80 upper and 100mm idler(thanks to HRH)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I get belt dust even with all my idler wrap mods and all. I put a 780 gates on today...more on the lose side than tight on the tensioner indicator...no gaterbacks around here and I hate to wait. I also bought another 774 incase this setup is too loose. Ran awesome though!

Harry

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Yo I have 3 brand new Gatorback belts in varying sizes. If ya need one cheap then tell me what size your looking for.;)

Razor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well gang...I went with the 4 lb lower today and 3.00 upper instead of my 2.80 and 6 lb lower.

I am thinking it was something to do with my 6 lb lower being way to close to the idler pulley down there. To restrictive and too much pressure. So with the 4 lb the space between that pulley and the idler is equal to stock.
Gates 774 belt on....I will try and get a gatorback sometime down the road. I just like the way the Gates "usually" sits in the grooves.

Atleast for now thats my cure...who knows whats around the corner.

Hot Rod(I am getting to old to be working on these cars)Harry

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
I think this is a better setup..Now you need a dyno tune...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim Vaccaro said:
I think this is a better setup..Now you need a dyno tune...
I am working on that one..wish your Mustang Magic was closer to me....I am either going to go to Crazy Horse when Rick and Linn go or I can also go to JDM sometime whenever the weather breaks. The weather of course here sucks again...so I dont really know how good this setup is so far. A different chip is in for this setup to see how things go. It was a chip that was on the lean side for my 2.8 and 6 lb lower...tail pipes were white....but with this setup I have now,the pipes are a reddish brown color(112 octane fuel) So its closer...if thats a good way to tell...I just hate seeing white tailpipes...better to be rich and lean.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts