Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had recently purchased a 2003 Ford explorer with the 4.6 liter SOHC engine and upgraded 3.73 LS rear. This truck is two wheel drive of course. Well I have quite a few serious plans for this thing. Actually for a year or so before i bought it i had these plans. First off I will be taking the stock aluminum block engine out and replacing it with an 03 cobra crate engine once the prices drop here in the next little while (It is ok, I am giving myself up to 2 years for this project from planning to completion) Anyways i am doing this versus building the existing explorer engine for a few reasons. First, the 03 cobra engine is far superior to the explorer enigine when it comes to building a very boost friendly engine. I mean dont get me wrong. The explorer block is a great platform to build an engine for semi-powerful applications but will not tend to want to stand up to 17 psi being shoved through it from a KB twin screw charger and still stay reliable. Another reason is that the new explorers use this **** PTEC advanced computer system which CANNOT be chipped like the old EEC's could. The only option is a power programmer device or getting it flashed but i want flipchip capability to go between different tunes. Now i am going to take a hit when it comes to weight being that there is about a 80 pound difference between the explorer and cobra blocks from what i hear. But that will be made up more than enough by the extra power and safer power i will be able to generate with this other engine setup. I also plan on junking (selling) the 5R55W5 tranny that is in it for a Lentech built AOD-E (4R70W) tranny. And then beefing the new rear IRS suspension and axles up would be the next thing to do of course. All in all this project will cost quite a bit i know, but i will save alot of money by dong all the labor myself. Except maybe the custom machine shop work that may or may not need to be done for some special things. Either way i figured that since i am still in the 2 valve crowd i would give you all an idea of what i had planned being that i am new to this particular site. If any of you want to know more just feel free to ask.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Eric thanks. Very nice car i see ya got there!! I was wondering if i could borrow it fer a little bit. ;) :D Hehe. I promise NOOTHING will happen to it. lol.

***rachet ratchet ratchet.........yank yank swap swap, ratchet ratchet ratchet. lol.***:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts