Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is available bypass valve wise other then the plastic POS style vortech suplied one. I know there is a mondo race bypass. any downsides of this valve? any other options? thanks guys.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
I am running the Vortech "Mini Race Bypass Valve" on my car. Much better then the plastic unit and works great. You can check it out Here

Razor.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
I orded that valve but ended up canceling on it after further research. The reason I canceled is because of possible backfires. I assume you are "venting" to the atmosphere? If you are, does your car go pig rich for a split second and backfire?? That's just something I was concerned with. Any problems with that??

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You cannot vent to the atmosphere on a draw through mass air system. The reason for this is the air that goes throught the bypass is metered air and is being seen by your computer as air that is being used by the engine. I have heard of no backfires associated with running a larger bypass valve. A larger bypass will not do anything to hurt your power. What it will do is help you from tearing up belts upon quick deceleration and it is better on the blower itself.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
smashedheadcat said:
I orded that valve but ended up canceling on it after further research. The reason I canceled is because of possible backfires. I assume you are "venting" to the atmosphere? If you are, does your car go pig rich for a split second and backfire?? That's just something I was concerned with. Any problems with that??
No it is not vented to atmosphere. The car does backfire between shifts on occasion at WOT, but it also did this when I was N/A as well. The A/F on my car is at 12:1 and the rich condition does lead to backfiring once in a while.;)

Razor.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Thanks, just by looking at the valve, it looked like it was disigned to vent to the atmosphere. I was going vent mine to the atmosphere, til I learned more about the whole "bypass".

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
david99fobra said:
how much boost does the mini race valve hole as opposed to the mondo?
I have no clue.:confused: I'm pushing a bit over 14psi now and it's doing fine though.

Razor.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I am not sure if I got your question right but they will all "hold" the same boost. The bigger the valve, the faster it will bleed off the boost when you come off the throttle. I would think the mini-bypass would be good to 18-20psi and the Mondo valve for anything over 20lbs. This is not etched in stone, just my observation. If the bypass is not big enough it will force the boost back toward the blower and put excess stress on it and also make you belt slip to some degree on deceleration. This is not that big of a deal on a serp belt but very crucial on cog systems as they do no slip and it can cause the blower damage.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
All I've found is the "Mondo Racing Bypass Valve" can flow 600+CFM @10psi

And the "Maxflow Racing Bypass Valve" can flow 320+CFM @8psi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts