Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the NX Intercooler C02 chiller kit that sprays C02 on the air to air intercooler. Does anyone know what happens if residual C02 gets ingested into the engine? If I'm correct it doesnt burn. Look at my engine compartment, I feel its possible for the supercharger to get residual C02 into the blower. Just trying to think of worst case scenerios.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Dave i think it turns into a poisonous gas that will kill everyone within a 2 mile radius. LOL just a joke.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I think I would be more concerned with the possibility of it ingesting an ice cube that flies off the intercooler. That would not be good at all for that impellar.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Dave King said:
I'm getting the NX Intercooler C02 chiller kit that sprays C02 on the air to air intercooler. Does anyone know what happens if residual C02 gets ingested into the engine? If I'm correct it doesnt burn. Look at my engine compartment, I feel its possible for the supercharger to get residual C02 into the blower. Just trying to think of worst case scenerios.

Dave what happened to your Air Conditioner??:lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Let's take a second and think about this logically, it might be long

If you had the blower facing the other direction and drawing from the engine compartment it will cause a vacuum at WOT.

Being that a F2M maxes at 2250cfm we can figure the following.

2250cfm / 60sec = 37.5cf per. sec.

Average Engine compartment 100cubit feet

Take away the area for the motor, and all wiring, Fuel system, K-member,etc. You end up with on average a little over 10-20 cubic feet left.

So with 10 cubic feet of available air, you would be ingesting the entire amount in .2667 Seconds!

So with that said in an average 8 second pass you have "swallowed" 29.99 Engine Bays worth of AIR

Just something to make you think about....kind of puts that blower in perspective....

I know this doesn't hold any reason as far as the forward facing blowers. Though it pretty much shows that for sure it will be sucking Co2 into the motor.

Now I will talk about why this is NOT a good idea.

Since that C02 is an inert gas (thanks Chem. classes in college). That Co2 is perfectly happy with its state, and will NOT shed any "0" to air in the combustion of the motor. It will be displacing the other "air" you will have in the motor that is combustible. So as the C02 is ingested the A/F mixture in theory would be swinging to the rich side. Being as though you're now shorting yourself on "burnable" air.
That is why people like to use the N02 spray bars, since that they are getting the added effects of the cold intercooler, and also picking up some residual No2 and ingesting it to aid getting "0" into the motor. Though the bad thing is the amount is random, and makes a tune hard to keep steady.
Co2 Spray bars are a good idea, though I would suggest routing the intake away from the Co2. Also it comes down to a repeatability issue. I don't like using them on high HP cars I work on due to one simple reason. If we would have it tuned to make as much HP as possible with the spray bar on. What happens if it doesn't work one pass, or shuts down half track? Then you have elevated intake temps, and possibly engine damage.

You need to figure out if the colder intercooler (now denser air charge) is going to be enough gain, to over come the inert gas you are ingesting.

Hope this helps.
EA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts