Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to run them in our car? How about with a KB with comp cams stage 3 and built block?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the real question is: Is it safe to run either or in our cars?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Our motors were not designed to burn leaded gas, dangers are interfereing with valve clearance, fouling plugs, plugging cats and beleive it or not a properly tuned car will make more rwhp with 100-103 unleaded gas.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Is there a lot more hp to be found in the 600-700hp range going to the oxygenated Q16 over just a high-octane fuel?
No.

If you currently have sufficient octane to run your combo, just switching fuels to higher octane could actually hurt your throttle response. Really the only way it would help is if you wanted to turn the boost way up. There is no benefit to using at at 600-700 in the twin screw situation.

Really a fuel like c16 is really only for cars that are running such insane boost that they need the added octane to keep it from detonating. I'm not sure just a KB or Whipple cobra could make enough power without nitrous to absolutely need C16, unless it was a heat issue and not a horsepower one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Switching to Q16, which is oxygenated, would yield a benefit. However if the gain is worth it would be a personal question.

The octane rating of C16 vs. Q16 isn't the factor, it's the fact that the Q16 has oxygen molecules allowing more oxygen into the mixture. It will produce more power at any given level than C16, however it requires more tuning and a higher volume fuel system.

Higher octane fuels burn slower, which means a regular car or a car tuned for 93 would not benefit from high octane fuel as they don't have the timing or power to utilize it. However a car that is running 20+ psi and a good amount of timing will certainly benefit.

JR Lewis ran Q16 in his car, boost only with a Whipple and has gone 8.70's.

I wouldn't recommend the switch to Q16, but there is power to be gained over C16. Clearly there is a gain to be made with C16 over 93 Unleaded if you're willing to run more boost and more timing.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
if you are planning to run race gas, and have the fuel system for it run the Q16. Being that the Q16 is oxygenated you will benefit and will gain power from it. The Q 16 requires 5-6% more fuel, so make sure you have an adequate fuel system to support the higher demand. If you are going to switch from C to Q you NEED a retune. C16 or Q16 isnt going to hurt you motor.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
^ Thanks

I was really curious about the oxygenated stuff, but it would have to be TREMENDOUS to justify the cost anyway.
For the record the C16 and Q16 are the same exact price.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Just remember, you only need enough octane to keep the mixture from detonation. If you have are able to achieve your desired boost and mean best timing safely on a lesser fuel, there is no benefit to adding additional octane, assuming all factors such as heat and fuel delivery are in check. Once you hit MBT, there is no more power to be had, without changing the boost, or nitrous, or something else in the air equation.

As far as Q16 goes, I am sure there is more power to be made, but like anything else, I am sure that it largely depends on your combo, and I know that's not what anyone wants to hear, but there is no way to know how one setup will react to a change, without making the change and documenting the results. On paper it should make more, but will it be worth the staggeringly higher cost over traditional race fuel? In some cases, Absolutely!!! and in some cases, your just going to end up making your car run like a dog. If you want to take advantage of the additional octane and oxygen in Q16, make sure your motor combo has the balls to actually warrant it's use =).

To answer the basic question, I would definitely say that at the average 18-20 psi, I can't see any real gains from C-16 that you couldn't get with 112. You are only spending your money needlessly. A race car like JR's is a much different story, and it's really a case by case basis thing, that your tuner would be able to answer. Although I do know a few people that use C16 at lower boost levels and eliminate the intercooler entirely. Q16 might prove interesting in that combo........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts