Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some info on what would be necessary to swap a C4 tranny on my T-45 equiped 97 Cobra.

Does anybody have pics of the interior of either a GT or Cobra with the tranny installed so that I can see the shifter setup?

How about a parts list of what would be neded to make it all happen?

I'm considering the C4 but I want to make sure that I will not have to hack up the car too much to make it all work.

Thanks for the feedback...

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
JC, the swap is not all that involved other than like you said the shifter and I for one have not seen one that was somewhat factory looking with no cutting or removing of the interior trim panels. I looked into doing this myself, but I am a hardcore 5-speed guy and I want to continue driving my car on the street.

You will need a Ati, or J&W bellhousing for the swap, a flexplate, tranny cooler, C4 itself ( I like Dynamic or PA) good converter (mod motors like them tall) drive shaft from older mustang 87-95, and a shifter. Please correct me if I am wrong but I think that is the most of it!

Chad

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chad !!!

Chad:

The part list looks exactly like I figured it would. Will I need to relocate the tranny support? (I would think YES, but I'm not sure)

I'm a bit hessitant to start cutting interior pieces without knowing how the darn thing is going to look like. I wonder if the shifter would come through the interior of the car at the same location as the stock shifter or would it be closer to the parking brake lever? I would love to see some pics of a clean install on one of our cars before taking the plunge...

Thanks for the info !!!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
JC, as far as I know, the rear tranny crossmember will work fine. I am sure you have to knock the tack welds off so you can position it to fit though. Even if you have to move it, it is not a big deal. As far as the shifters, all the ones I have seen look like they would fit nowhere but about where your ashtray is currently. The Cheetah shifter may be your best bet for a factoty clean look because it is the smallest. You still may not have enough room to put it in the stock location though. Let me know if you get some pics, I would like to see them also.

Chad

·
Registered
438 Posts
if??

If you are planning on keeping ur stock console, you will have to cut out quite a bit to make it work. It needs to be cut out all the way up to the cup holder. If I had to do it all over again.... I would have pullled the console and saved it, made a cover plate for the shifter, and put some carpet down.

It doesnt look too bad cut up.....but u can tell it has......

Ben

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The B&M Hammer shifter fits with a clean flush factory look.You have to cut the "stand" for the 5 speed shifter out to mount it.It fits flush with the console and looks like a 5 speed setup.I would take some pics for you,but my interior is out of the car so it can be caged.

Tim

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CobraKiller

I would appreciate if you could take a picture of that setup whenever possible. What you describe is exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help guys !!! I'm looking forward to seeing some pics... :D

Thanks,
JC

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Looks Great..!!!!!!!!!
I wish Spence was close enough to do mine.I have a mild steel 8pt Im cutting out..Going with a chrome molly 10pt.Gotta keep the car lite..;)

They do awesome work..

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts