Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what shifter are you using? preferably in the stock location...

and pics would be sweet....:tip:

·
Demented and old
5,322 Posts
i went with the pro bandit shifter-some people have used the pro ratchett-4sdvenom modifys your console so the shifter sits back from the center dash-aprox where the cup holders are-he is just getting done with mine so i dont have pics for you but if you do a search you will find the pics:tip:

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i went with the pro bandit shifter-some people have used the pro ratchett-4sdvenom modifys your console so the shifter sits back from the center dash-aprox where the cup holders are-he is just getting done with mine so i dont have pics for you but if you do a search you will find the pics:tip:
cool

like i said..looking for stock locayion mainly. i would have to redo my nitrous setup/wiring if i did it that way.

i looked at a couple threads and it had lots of red x's...lol

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
cool

like i said..looking for stock locayion mainly. i would have to redo my nitrous setup/wiring if i did it that way.

i looked at a couple threads and it had lots of red x's...lol
Your nitrous station could be incorporated into a mid console shifter set-up, or even a new one built like BLK_03's. that is if that is the only reason you want a stock location shifter!
Otherwise you are very limited on what can actually fit without still cutting things up! I've seen 1 shifter (Hurst Quarter stick) in the stock location that looked good, but it would not engage into park because it hit the HVAC/Stereo area.

The only direct replacement shifter is the B&M Hammer, and it is for an AOD/AODE which only means you would have to make your own cable bracket, and possibly use a different cable for the shifter to be compatable with the C4. I'm unsure if the Hammer uses the transmission range sensor for it's reverse lights and nuetral/park safety or micro switches, but if it uses the TRS you will have to convert it to micro switch activation to keep reverse lights and N/P safety.

The Hurst Quarter stick is going to be your best bet to fit a non-direct replcament shifter in the stock location, and like I mentioned that will come with either not being able to put it in park (due to the range of motion the shifter goes through), or cutting a notch through the shifter bezel and console to move it back far enough to engage park. If there are other options I have not seen them!

Hope this helps!
Ken:tip:

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your nitrous station could be incorporated into a mid console shifter set-up, or even a new one built like BLK_03's. that is if that is the only reason you want a stock location shifter!
Otherwise you are very limited on what can actually fit without still cutting things up! I've seen 1 shifter (Hurst Quarter stick) in the stock location that looked good, but it would not engage into park because it hit the HVAC/Stereo area.

The only direct replacement shifter is the B&M Hammer, and it is for an AOD/AODE which only means you would have to make your own cable bracket, and possibly use a different cable for the shifter to be compatable with the C4. I'm unsure if the Hammer uses the transmission range sensor for it's reverse lights and nuetral/park safety or micro switches, but if it uses the TRS you will have to convert it to micro switch activation to keep reverse lights and N/P safety.

The Hurst Quarter stick is going to be your best bet to fit a non-direct replcament shifter in the stock location, and like I mentioned that will come with either not being able to put it in park (due to the range of motion the shifter goes through), or cutting a notch through the shifter bezel and console to move it back far enough to engage park. If there are other options I have not seen them!

Hope this helps!
Ken:tip:
hey Ken...I currently run the B&M Hammer....and actually just found they have a kit to use it on a C4.

however...the C4 comes with a reverse pattern vb and I dont believe I correctly understand the actualy shift pattern. the kit says itll work with a c4 but no mention of reverse pattern

currently my reverse lights and lockout works...are you saying its diff wiring for the c4?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
hey Ken...I currently run the B&M Hammer....and actually just found they have a kit to use it on a C4.

however...the C4 comes with a reverse pattern vb and I dont believe I correctly understand the actualy shift pattern. the kit says itll work with a c4 but no mention of reverse pattern

currently my reverse lights and lockout works...are you saying its diff wiring for the c4?
Does your Hammer use (2) micro switches mounted on the shifter soewhere for reverse lights and N/P safety? If it does your good there, otherwise there is a black box on the side of the 4r70w fit over the stem for the cable linkage that closes the appropriate circuits for reverse lights and N/P safety as the shifter position changes.

I'm not real familiar on the Hammer function, I know it's a ratchet, but does it double as a gated shifter too?
Either way it should work for a reverse pattern VB, you will just have to get used to a different shift pattern! It would now be:
P
R
N

I would call B&M's tech line just to double check on the reverse pattern compatability!

You list your 4r70w yet? How much you want for it..lol?

Ken

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does your Hammer use (2) micro switches mounted on the shifter soewhere for reverse lights and N/P safety? If it does your good there, otherwise there is a black box on the side of the 4r70w fit over the stem for the cable linkage that closes the appropriate circuits for reverse lights and N/P safety as the shifter position changes.

I'm not real familiar on the Hammer function, I know it's a ratchet, but does it double as a gated shifter too?
Either way it should work for a reverse pattern VB, you will just have to get used to a different shift pattern! It would now be:
P
R
N

I would call B&M's tech line just to double check on the reverse pattern compatability!

You list your 4r70w yet? How much you want for it..lol?

Ken
thats what I was afraid of...the

3 part...

so esentially at the traps I have no way to shift it up into neutral as it would take 3 bangs of the hammer. hmm....looks like more research on my part.

not listed yet as Ive been researching this HARD....looking for locals first but I would make an exception for you bro. lol. havent worke dout the details yet but it wont be outrageous...itll be good

·
Registered
354 Posts
here's mine hurt quarter stick with pistal grip, reverse valve body on my C4. when installing i had to fab up a mounting plate and cut into the the tunnel to make the cable fit. i never got around to mounting the cover back on, but you get the idea

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have a B&M Pro Stick Composite X Shifter. It's a gated style shifter, which is my personal preference after having driven both styles. Again this is HIGHLY personal preference.

It doesn't look nearly as obvious with the CF when in the car. I too have the reverse manual valvebody and the PRN123 shift pattern. There is a lot of discussion elsewhere on the net regarding going into neutral at the end of the 1/4 and techniques with a RMVB.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
thats what I was afraid of...the

3 part...

so esentially at the traps I have no way to shift it up into neutral as it would take 3 bangs of the hammer. hmm....looks like more research on my part.

not listed yet as Ive been researching this HARD....looking for locals first but I would make an exception for you bro. lol. havent worke dout the details yet but it wont be outrageous...itll be good
Keep me posted on your 4r, I'm gonna most likely put the add up for my t56 this week which I would need gone first, but I would drive to you to make a deal if everything lines up right for the both of us! I know what kind of a pita shipping a tranny set-up is from sending mine south to its new owner. Wish I would have kept it, but your's is the closest set-up to what I had out there except for being a Lentech. Plus you've had more time to get things dialed in with the converter as well!!

Is there no option on the C4 your looking at for a standard pattern? I hate reverse patterns for the exact reason you mentioned!

Ken

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here's mine hurt quarter stick with pistal grip, reverse valve body on my C4. when installing i had to fab up a mounting plate and cut into the the tunnel to make the cable fit. i never got around to mounting the cover back on, but you get the idea
ahh..I didn tknow you were running a c4!! gonna shoot you a pm

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a B&M Pro Stick Composite X Shifter. It's a gated style shifter, which is my personal preference after having driven both styles. Again this is HIGHLY personal preference.

It doesn't look nearly as obvious with the CF when in the car. I too have the reverse manual valvebody and the PRN123 shift pattern. There is a lot of discussion elsewhere on the net regarding going into neutral at the end of the 1/4 and techniques with a RMVB.
thats cool...in the stock location??

I guess its just nice to toos it into neutral especially when you just tossed 15psi and a 100 shot into the car for 10 seconds...instead of letting the engine slow you down in lean air pump mode. plus its nice if osmething happens

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep me posted on your 4r, I'm gonna most likely put the add up for my t56 this week which I would need gone first, but I would drive to you to make a deal if everything lines up right for the both of us! I know what kind of a pita shipping a tranny set-up is from sending mine south to its new owner. Wish I would have kept it, but your's is the closest set-up to what I had out there except for being a Lentech. Plus you've had more time to get things dialed in with the converter as well!!

Is there no option on the C4 your looking at for a standard pattern? I hate reverse patterns for the exact reason you mentioned!

Ken
haha..yea she is pretty dialed in.

I di dnot ask them about that as I will now though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
thats cool...in the stock location??

I guess its just nice to toos it into neutral especially when you just tossed 15psi and a 100 shot into the car for 10 seconds...instead of letting the engine slow you down in lean air pump mode. plus its nice if osmething happens
Yes it's in the stock location in my center console.

But my Cobra is still a 6 speed car. :bigwink:

My '70 is my race car. '03 is a street car toy!

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it's in the stock location in my center console.

But my Cobra is still a 6 speed car. :bigwink:

My '70 is my race car. '03 is a street car toy!
ohh...ok....hey...mine is my street toy too!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
if your interested in the B&m i have this for sale its the same as above just not as fancy... 40 bucks plus shipping

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
anyone else?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm using a hurst quarter stick on my 03 GT.... had to weld a mounting plate to it that bolted it down to the stock location and the only other modification was the notching around the shifter bezel like already pictured. I wasn't able to get the stock boot to fit over it but I used black foam (like that used with the shipping of comupter parts usually) to fill in the holes between the bezel and the shifter and it all looks pretty damn clean... i'll try to take come pics.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm using a hurst quarter stick on my 03 GT.... had to weld a mounting plate to it that bolted it down to the stock location and the only other modification was the notching around the shifter bezel like already pictured. I wasn't able to get the stock boot to fit over it but I used black foam (like that used with the shipping of comupter parts usually) to fill in the holes between the bezel and the shifter and it all looks pretty damn clean... i'll try to take come pics.
please!! thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts