Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I was talking with some other stangers at the Mustangwold northeast meet this sunday and the topic of cold air induction kits came up and it got me thinking.

I have a MAC fenderwell CAI right now. It seems to work well. But the other day at the track, on a hot and humid day (90 degrees 80% humidity) I put my hand on the pipe and it was pretty hot. And the car had been sitting for about 2.5 hrs. Needless to say I ran a very crappy time. This leads me to my first question.

Is my CAI doing more harm then good? Wouldnt the heat from the tube heat up the air? If the tube was plastic would it work better? This leads into my 2nd question:

Would the plastice kit work better, maybe even the stock elbow w/ a cone filter (like I had on the car when I bought it) This leads into my next question:

Is the fenderwell kit better then the non fenderwell kit? Someone said that the bend in the fenderwell kit does more harm than good. Would the stock plastic elbow with a cone filter be better than my metal tubed fender well kit?

Can i put a coating or a wrap on my current kit to let the heat out but keep it from getting in? Can i buy some plastic pipe from home depot and make my own and coat the pipe with something?

Would it be better if I got a kit where it put the MAF in the fender with the filter attatched to it?

:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
i've had mine for almost 2 years now.. and no problems.. and runs better with it on than the stock set up.. or the c&l kits.. IMO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i just did a test Friday with a BBK CAI inlet pipe, 70mm t/b, and a intake spacer. i did not have the elbow on the CAI because i use a open filter on my Pro-M 80mm. the inlet pipe was sooo hot you could literally boil spit on it (i did it). anyone that says that hot pipe dosent effect intake temps is FOS.

on average these POS parts collectivily cost me 9 hundreths and 1.13mph. they are good for nothing.

pawn your MAC CAI off on eBay and buy something worthwhile with the cash you get back. put your stock rubber inlet tubing back on.

-Mike

·
Registered
176 Posts
The one one from an 01 should fit. Great to meet you this weekend up in my neck of the woods. I had the silver 01 GT. Your car sounds mean.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
b1nyc said:
The one one from an 01 should fit. Great to meet you this weekend up in my neck of the woods. I had the silver 01 GT. Your car sounds mean.
hey it was nice meeting you too. Thanks for the compliment on the way the car sounds. I just wish I oculd get that bent tip going straight again and all would be good w/ the exhaust.

I think John (scud) said he has his. Gonna see if i can pick it up from him.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Checking something for temp after it sits and heat-soaks is pretty much worthless, try putting your hand on it while the car is running and air is being drawn through it.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes and yes. First, the underhood temperature heats up the metal on your CAI and hence will heat the air flowing through it. So, it is doing harm to your car. I use the KB CAI made of plastic and it works much better than the BBK CAI that I had. Second, the 90 degree bend in front of the MAF may cause bad readings that will lean/rich your engine. The KB CAI has a smooth bend that guarantees a laminar flow into the meter which is a must for high hp levels. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
AutomaticWeapon said:
i just did a test Friday with a BBK CAI inlet pipe, 70mm t/b, and a intake spacer. i did not have the elbow on the CAI because i use a open filter on my Pro-M 80mm. the inlet pipe was sooo hot you could literally boil spit on it (i did it). anyone that says that hot pipe dosent effect intake temps is FOS.

on average these POS parts collectivily cost me 9 hundreths and 1.13mph. they are good for nothing.

pawn your MAC CAI off on eBay and buy something worthwhile with the cash you get back. put your stock rubber inlet tubing back on.

-Mike
Im thinking about buying a full densecharger unit for mine since its a plastic piece and a pro-m mass air. would that be a lot better than the C&L system?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm working on a plastic CAI for the GT. I would like to gauge the interest in it to see if it will be worth making. I made one for the 03 Cobra with great HP improvments. No hot pipe either.

Let me know what you all think heres a link to more info: http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?t=9292

Web site soming soon! :thumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tucker I emailed you and i am very interested. Especially if even half the gains of the 03 cobra are there. Id be happy with 7-10 hp but i think thats a stretch. Help us GT owners out and give us something worth buying

·
Registered
142 Posts
I dyno tested with -8RWHP using the MAC CAI POS.

I put the an open K&N filter in the engine bay with no in-fender elbow and got my 8 hp back.

I tossed the POS MAC and have a C&L True Flow 80mm w/Plenum

·
Registered
55 Posts
BoRoBomB said:
hey it was nice meeting you too. Thanks for the compliment on the way the car sounds. I just wish I oculd get that bent tip going straight again and all would be good w/ the exhaust.

I think John (scud) said he has his. Gonna see if i can pick it up from him.
Hey what kind of exhaust are you running? :confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tucker said:
Hey Guys, I'm working on a plastic CAI for the GT. I would like to gauge the interest in it to see if it will be worth making. I made one for the 03 Cobra with great HP improvments. No hot pipe either.

Let me know what you all think heres a link to more info: http://www.modularfords.com/showthread.php?t=9292

Didnt even realize you were from Ches. until matt (steeda GT) showed me a vid of two cobras and how one of em had the saleen wheels and made his own cold air kit.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Tucker said:

please keep us updated....i'd love to throw my FIPK away and get a real good piece...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Picked up a K&N filter today, installed it and pulled the silencer out. When I did a search on silencer, I notice some comments on taking the MAF screen off also.

Questions.
1) Anyone take the MAF screen off? Any difference?

2) Any problems with water in the airbox without the silencer into the fenderwell?

Have the Accufab 70mm TB and Plenum on the way. Taxes took care of my money for a blower and need to play in the meantime.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts