Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well after really doing a bunch at one time I have learned the cams have more issues than the gears. I just did a set of cams that were supposed to be 110 and found 102 and 112. The 102 of this monster cam had the valve into the piston even with a piston notch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well after really doing a bunch at one time I have learned the cams have more issues than the gears. I just did a set of cams that were supposed to be 110 and found 102 and 112. The 102 of this monster cam had the valve into the piston even with a piston notch.
What stage cam?

·
Registered
200 Posts
You likely understand, but always do the exhaust cams first, since they are the driven cams. Then do the intake cams.
I'm not sure I understand how you could degree the exhaust cams first, care to elaborate?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Awesome Job Nick.

I been lookin for someone to post an article like this.

·
Registered
317 Posts
sweet mystics

·
Senior Citizen Member
5,058 Posts
I'm not sure I understand how you could degree the exhaust cams first, care to elaborate?
Back to some basics... to be sure, I am talking about a 4V DOHC setup.

Since the primary chains drive the exhaust cam gears first, and then the secondary chains drive the intake cam gears, you must first adjust the exhaust cams so they are at the required lobe centerlines (or, per cam manuf. spec), and then adjust the intake cam gears to set the intake cam lobe centerlines. IF you adjusted the intake cam centerlines, and then had to adjust the exhaust cam gears to set the exhaust cam centerlines, you would then have changed the intake cam centerlines.

As you know, the exhaust cam centerlines would be adjusted to the required spec (lets say all 4 cams are spec'd for 112 degree centerlines), so that the exhaust cam lobes are at their highest point 112 degrees Before TDC on the exhaust stroke. Once those are adjusted, by grinding the cam gear keyways (or using adjustable gears) and you have them locked down, then you would adjust the intake cam gears so that the intake cams are at their highest point 112 degrees After TDC on the intake stroke. You'd likely find that the exhaust valves and intake valves would be open at the same time for some degrees (called overlap), since the exhaust valve wouldn't be fully closed until say 3 degrees After TDC, beginning the intake stroke, while the intake valve would be coming open say 3 degrees Before TDC, at the end of the exhaust stroke (this would give you 6 degrees overlap).

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Banned
2 Posts
golfleading
TaylorMade R9
TaylorMade's Todd Beach, Senior Director of Metalwood Development ishiner, had this to say, "Those two discount golf clubs drivers (TaylorMade R9 460 Driver and R9 Driver) were created because TaylorMade didn't yet have the ability to combine both FCT and MWT in a 460cc head. A year later, we do."

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think I found an "affordable" way to do the 4V heads, anybody who has done 4V heads what kits have you used or have you spent all day filing the keyways?

·
Registered
281 Posts
great write up!!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
This guy (Nick) is something man, I stopped by his shop for some gaskets and such. While I was there I took a brief walk threw the shop it is insane, The level & quality he takes his work. He has a engine set up just to time cams, I was showed a CNC port and then Nick was paid to clean the machines work up, Its just nuts. And between Nick and one of his employee's/entrepreneur Jordan you can get the badest set of heads, and a insane block.

Mickey

21 - 35 of 35 Posts